Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need Clutch Gurus inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Clutch Gurus inside

Ok Ladies and Gents, I recently added a cam to my bolt on 6 speed 01 camaro with ls7 clutch kit, fab 9" on ET drags, 444hp. Car ran great 2 weeks ago at the track with no clutch issues and no issues driving to track this past weekend.

I noticed my clutch fluid in reservoir was a lil on the dirty side so I bled it thru the slave like I normally do. Added new fluid and all seems normal. I do my normal burnout and line her up. Car launches at 5800rpm then falls on its face ( felt like I was spinning badly) so I peddled it and went to grab 2nd gear and notice the clutch pedal is on the floor and the Beautiful rank *** clutch smell fills the air. I pop the pedal up with my foot, pedal is good so I limp down the track in 3rd gear. Check everything out in the pits, checked for air with mity vac, all seems ok, good pedal, launches normal in the pits, wtf!!!!

I let the car cool and attempt another pass hoping it was just a freak problem. Well car launched a little further then same ****, once it happens I get out of the throttle and limp back to pits, day is over.

The car drives home fine, launches fine on the street with the et drags. Any thoughts, suggestions before I drop the trans? Think the clutch is shot or ??? Sorry for the long thread
Old 07-12-2011, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

my personal guess is that your just putting too much power down for a ls7 clutch...a ls7 clutch is for 500 CRANK horsepower and and your putting down 444 rwhp which calculates to more than 500 crank horsepower and you have to keep in mind that is basically a factory clutch which usually means a clutch just enough for that factory motor if you get what im sayin
Old 07-13-2011, 03:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverls1z28ofdeath
my personal guess is that your just putting too much power down for a ls7 clutch...a ls7 clutch is for 500 CRANK horsepower and and your putting down 444 rwhp which calculates to more than 500 crank horsepower and you have to keep in mind that is basically a factory clutch which usually means a clutch just enough for that factory motor if you get what im sayin
Man, I wish more people were like you!!!!

The LS7 clutch is failing, plain and simple. This is a classic example of why not to use a LS7 clutch for a performance vehicle.

Give us a call and we'll get you taken care of, you're definetly on the right track with the drivetrain, you just need a clutch now that will handle the abuse!
Old 07-13-2011, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Ya I knew I was right on the edge with the new power. Actually kinda glad I got my 10.xx slip before the new clutch lol. Once I pry the credit card from the BOSSES kung fu grip ill be in touch. Guess ill have to help her around the house for a few days lol..