Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Sticking clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticking clutch!

I have read the sticky on this, many thanks to all and I plan to upgrade my fluid, drill mod and possible heat shield (hoping its not a slave cylinder). Just trying to understand where and how this happens, bear with me. I can see a hard launch or burnout causing heat (slippage), but I pulled out to pass in 4th doing 100km at 2,500. Passed, backed off and went for 5th and lost the pedal? Not aggressive, no slippage, normal driving-WTF? Where is the heat coming from to boil or break down fluid or cause the slave to bind? I don't get it! Thanks for the replies, Les.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wear and tear.

Depending on the mileage on everything. The fluid breaks down, so it gets hot easier everytime. The slave gets warn. Just happens, doesnt have to be heat from getting on it all the time, everything gets heated even while the car idles. The master cyl lines are close to the exhaust, the motor is hot, trans is hot...

Biggest thing is keeping the fluid clean by changing it regularly. Its super easy to do. Also, get the highest temp rated fluid you can find.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
Wear and tear.

Depending on the mileage on everything. The fluid breaks down, so it gets hot easier everytime. The slave gets warn. Just happens, doesnt have to be heat from getting on it all the time, everything gets heated even while the car idles. The master cyl lines are close to the exhaust, the motor is hot, trans is hot...

Biggest thing is keeping the fluid clean by changing it regularly. Its super easy to do. Also, get the highest temp rated fluid you can find.
Thanks and I plan to do all of that, it only has 49,000 kms on it! Do you wrap the line or build a heat shield? Still surprised how rolling onto it will cause this condition, any other comments would be helpful, thanks.

Quick Reply: Sticking clutch!