Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Borg Warner t56 help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 03:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Borg Warner t56 help

Just picked this trans up for a spare, but it has an issue. The input shaft will turn, BUT when you try to turn it from the shifter, it's like it's jammed or something. I haven't pulled it apart yet to figure out what it is, but I'm thinking maybe somebody here can possibly give me an idea what to possibly look for?

Guy who had it before me, when he picked the car up it was in 1st gear and he was told not to take it out. He loaded it, got it home and when he went to pull it off the trailer, he got it out of first and then went to put it reverse, doing exactly what the guy he bought it from told him not to do and well the rest is pretty much it. It will not do anything at all, but the input shaft will turn.

What do y'all think?
Old 07-29-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a good idea to transport these in gear( any gear). The problem with this unit was not because it was shifted. They are made to shift. It's generally why people buy them.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think you are misunderstanding what im saying.. it will NOT do a damn thing from the shifter area, but the input shaft on the front will turn.. its like its stuck in nuetral internally.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:23 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You're unclear.

Circle one: Does the shifter put it into any gear? [ ? ] No [ ? ] Yes

Circle one: Does the output shaft turn at all? [ ? ] No [ ? ] Yes
Old 08-02-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jarretthise
i think you are misunderstanding what im saying.. it will NOT do a damn thing from the shifter area, but the input shaft on the front will turn.. its like its stuck in nuetral internally.
says clearly- input shaft turns freely.. shifter area does nothing.. lol.. i am very clear to what i am trying to say.. there is an internal problem and i will just have to tear it apart to get an idea of what the problem is.. i was just hoping to get an idea from somebody here, but it doesnt seem that is feasable..

Quick Reply: Borg Warner t56 help