Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone know where to get a G6 F40 flywheel/clutch to fit a 5.3L 60 deg bell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:09 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Anyone know where to get a G6 F40 flywheel/clutch to fit a 5.3L 60 deg bell?

Just as it says Im helping a friend do a Fiero 5.3L swap from an 06 Impala and hes running the G6 spd manual because of the bell housing match. Ive seen other swaps out there running this so I searched around and came up bupkiss. Looking for a clutch solution that will hold around 350 whp
Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
Just as it says Im helping a friend do a Fiero 5.3L swap from an 06 Impala and hes running the G6 spd manual because of the bell housing match. Ive seen other swaps out there running this so I searched around and came up bupkiss. Looking for a clutch solution that will hold around 350 whp
Sounds like you may need something custom. What size flywheel will the G6 bellhousing accommodate? If it can swallow a standard 168 tooth LSx flywheel, then you can possibly use any LS1 clutch with a custom disk to match the splines of the G6 transaxle. The other thing to consider is how much room is inside the bellhousing and what kind of release mechanism is being used. I am assuming that it is some sort of hydraulic arrangement. Pictures would be helpful....

Andrew
Old 08-05-2011, 10:51 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Sounds like you may need something custom. What size flywheel will the G6 bellhousing accommodate? If it can swallow a standard 168 tooth LSx flywheel, then you can possibly use any LS1 clutch with a custom disk to match the splines of the G6 transaxle. The other thing to consider is how much room is inside the bellhousing and what kind of release mechanism is being used. I am assuming that it is some sort of hydraulic arrangement. Pictures would be helpful....

Andrew
Thats the issue its pretty small in there. I didnt measure it but it looks to be around the 10" dia range is about it plus the starter issue is going to be interesting as these front drive V8's are reversed to LS1 configuration. I did some googling and came up with quite a bit of info on clutch solutions. Theres a place called Archies who only does Fiero builds and theres a lot of one stop shopping to be had there for such builds but this friend of mine has a family and his finances are best served putting them towards this so hes trying to limit costs as best he can. Obviously there are some things he cannot avoid and likely this clutch assembly is going to be one but I have some mighty big fish to fry on my own ( like getting my freakin L92/t56 swap done ) so im just trying to throw some lines out here and see if anyone can help. So I have no pics but can get some

As for the rest of the build Ive already picked a cam for him and we have the supporting engine mods dialed thats easy for me now but these swap mystery's can become either very costly in the pocket, or very costly on the clock. One way or the other you gotta pay to play

Anyways thanks for the help Andrew I'll be posting about this more
Old 08-05-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like this might end up being an expensive proposition. One solution off the top of my head is to use an auto flew plate that was on the Impala, that will take care of the starter engagement. Then for the clutch you can use a Quarter Master 7.25" dual disk Rally clutch on a button flywheel (no teeth for the starter. It just bolts to the crank and mounts the clutch). Then you need to figure out how to release it, because the QMI clutch will need a radius faced bearing.

Andrew
Old 08-05-2011, 11:00 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Sounds like a great start thanks! I was thinking dual disk as well simply from a holding stand point and the diameter limitations. Its not going to be the most radical engine but we're shooting for 350-75 whp and this guy is one HELL of a lead foot. He breaks everything he drives so the clutch will need to be overkill. Are those quarter master duals organic or ceramic or?
Old 08-05-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cam
Sounds like a great start thanks! I was thinking dual disk as well simply from a holding stand point and the diameter limitations. Its not going to be the most radical engine but we're shooting for 350-75 whp and this guy is one HELL of a lead foot. He breaks everything he drives so the clutch will need to be overkill. Are those quarter master duals organic or ceramic or?
The dual disk Rallys are sintered iron. It is more of a race clutch, so it won't be super street friendly, but I think it will be OK because: light weight car, engine with a lot of torque, steep gearing (I assume 1st is 3.0+ and final drive is around 3.5+, please confirm). All those factors will make it easier to drive, but again, this won't be inexpensive. Just the clutch and button flywheel will run you about $800 plus you need to figure out the hydraulics.

All this is based on the assumption that there is enough depth in the bellhousing. The FWDs always have very tight dimensions.

What year G6 is the trans axle from?

Andrew
Old 08-05-2011, 11:19 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Hmmmm his goals are to have a daily driveable type car so the sintered iron may not be ideal. The trans hasnt arrived yet ( its en route ) so I dont have answers to some of that but iirc its an 06 G6 F40 trans

This is of some interest here

http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/home.htm
Old 08-05-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cam
Hmmmm his goals are to have a daily driveable type car so the sintered iron may not be ideal. The trans hasnt arrived yet ( its en route ) so I dont have answers to some of that but iirc its an 06 G6 F40 trans

This is of some interest here

http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/home.htm
Looks like v8archie has a solution for first gen SBCs but not for LS1s.

I found more info here:
http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powe...2007/07car.htm

But nothing really helpful.

One really long shot is that the stock 3.9L v6 flywheel bolts to his 5.3L engine. If that works, then he is all set!!! Some of the GM writeups discuss similarities between the 3.9L engine and the LS1. It is a long shot, but that should be explored.

I also forgot to mention that Quarter Master also has a single disk 8.5" clutch. That clutch is available with an organic disk as well as a sintered iron disk. I had the sintered iron version in my RX7 (LS swap) and it was very street friendly and could be driven without drama.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Anyone know where to get a G6 F40 flywheel/clutch to fit a 5.3L 60 deg bell?