Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch HP/TQ Rating vs Wear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch HP/TQ Rating vs Wear?

If you have two clutches from the same company with different HP/TQ ratings, will one wear faster than the other? The reason I ask this is that I'm probably going to be buying a package from Tick with a Monster clutch. Not taking into consideration using a clutch with an engine it can't handle, will Monster's low level clutches wear any differently than the higher level ones?

As a side question, how does increasing the level of a clutch change its feel?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wear of a clutch is highly dependent of the driver. Feel free to call me for an explanationof the differences in the different levels as there's not a generic answer. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 08-15-2011, 04:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Muscle
If you have two clutches from the same company with different HP/TQ ratings, will one wear faster than the other? The reason I ask this is that I'm probably going to be buying a package from Tick with a Monster clutch. Not taking into consideration using a clutch with an engine it can't handle, will Monster's low level clutches wear any differently than the higher level ones?

As a side question, how does increasing the level of a clutch change its feel?
Generally speaking as far as single disc clutches are concerned, the higher the power holding capability, the quicker it wears. In a street car application, you want to buy the clutch that is closest-rated to the power level you plan to make. For example, if you plan to make 600 rear-wheel torque, you'd want Monster's Level 3 which is rated to 700 rear-wheel torque, not their Level 2 since it's only rated to 550 rear-wheel torque. Monster's Level 1 will last longer than their Level 2, Level 2 will last longer than Level 3, and so on.

Again, generally speaking the more power holding capability a clutch has, the more harsh it's engagement will be. Monster's Level 1 drives just like a stock unit - Monster's Level 6 has got a stiffer pedal and is much more noticeable when driving.

Thank you for considering our Tick & Monster Complete Package. "Like" us on Facebook to save $100 on it until 8/22: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tick-P...69548263090089

Quick Reply: Clutch HP/TQ Rating vs Wear?