Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2001 Trams Am Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Trams Am Clutch problem

I have a 2001 WS6 Trans Am with a 6 speed transmission. It has 27,000 miles on it. Is also has the ram air package if that matters.

Something is wrong with the clutch. If I step on the clutch pedal for more than maybe 5 to 10 seconds, it seems to go back into gear by it's self. It seems like it is even worse if I use reverse.

My clutch started creaking when I would step on it. It kinda sounded like a spring would when it stretches. It did that for a little while and I didn't really think anything about it. Anyway, one day it sounded like maybe something broke or came loose and I for sure heard a small piece of something fall onto the road. Very shortly after that is when the clutch started acting as I said above.

I have been reading and it seems like it must be the slave or master cylinder or possibly a couple of other things. It did check the fluid reservoir and it is full. How do I figure out what the problem is? While I am somewhat mechanically inclined because I work on a drill rig, I do not know a lot about working on automobiles. Even if I can't fix it myself, I would at least like to know for sure what the problem is before I take it somewhere. I recently moved so I am new to the area and don't know the reputation of any of the repair shops in the area and I would rather avoid taking to a dealer because they are so insanely expensive. (The only one in the area wanted a little over $500 to replace the passenger window motor so I did it myself.)

I should also say that of course the car has sit a lot. Even months at a time on more than a few occasions. I would start it and let it run when I could but I was out of town a lot so sometimes that was not possible. It is in a garage.

I have never abused the car either. Of course I have driven it well over 100 quite few times but I never burn the tires or dump the clutch.

Thanks to anyone who takes a look at this.

The Car.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:42 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Staying released only 5-10 seconds points fairly certainly to the master cylinder.

If you're mechanically inclined, the master cylinder is an easy swap, other than a little frustration lining the retaining u-bolt into the firewall holes.
Real quick:
loosen the two nuts inside the car so the master can move a little.
unclip it at the pedal and wiggle it off that stud.
remove the two nuts
push the u-bolt into the engine bay; this will drop any factory star/lock washers on the carpet.
From the eng. bay, you'll be pulling the master into the engine bay and removing a roll-pin retaining the line.

When that's all reversed w/ the new master, bleeding is the important (and tricky) part so your clutch works tip-top again.

Nothing gets air out of fresh new fluid like the JMD method.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by jmd
Staying released only 5-10 seconds points fairly certainly to the master cylinder.

If you're mechanically inclined, the master cylinder is an easy swap, other than a little frustration lining the retaining u-bolt into the firewall holes.
Real quick:
loosen the two nuts inside the car so the master can move a little.
unclip it at the pedal and wiggle it off that stud.
remove the two nuts
push the u-bolt into the engine bay; this will drop any factory star/lock washers on the carpet.
From the eng. bay, you'll be pulling the master into the engine bay and removing a roll-pin retaining the line.

When that's all reversed w/ the new master, bleeding is the important (and tricky) part so your clutch works tip-top again.

Nothing gets air out of fresh new fluid like the JMD method.
Thanks for the reply. It seems the more I have been researching, the more the problem points to the master. It sounds like a pretty easy fix.

Is there anything I can do to confirm that is the problem before taking it apart?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:11 PM

Oh and is there a certain brand I should buy or stay away from. I noticed someone said NAPA parts are crap?

Quick Reply: 2001 Trams Am Clutch problem