Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

6 Speed Swap Guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 6 Speed Swap Guys

How much time did you spend converting your a4 to 6 speed manual transmission? I just want to plan my swap and how much time I'll need. Hoping to be able to do it in one weekend.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did mine over the course of time collecting parts and swapping them as i went. If i had all the parts in front of me, i could easily have done it in a weekend. the wiring will take longer than anything.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hardest part for me was getting my Tick MC installed and lined up straight. Overall not really hard by any means.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
i did mine over the course of time collecting parts and swapping them as i went. If i had all the parts in front of me, i could easily have done it in a weekend. the wiring will take longer than anything.
I dont want to Hijack, but im also planning to do the swap in the near future..what is all involved in the wiring side? I HATE WIRING!..lol

Also are there any write ups or stickies on doing the swap?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine lasted over two weeks but that was because I was only doing a few hours a day and also did a knew moser rear at the same time. If you have the time (i.e. no nagging wife demanding your attention), some general knowledge, and the parts this is easily done in a weekend. I'd plan for at least 3 to 4 days "just in case" though.

There is always that one part or procedure that just won't budge till you come back to it after an hour/days rest. So I always tack on extra time to a build.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

mine took a week or so but thats because i was waiting on parts. It could be done in a long weekend if you had everything. Dropping the auto didnt take long, installing the new trans didnt take long, its getting the holes right for the master cylinder that took the longest and was the most aggravating because you are in such an awkward position working under the dash. wiring isnt bad, run park wires to your neutral safety swith and itll start.. you need a pigtail for the reverse lights everything else from the auto you leave unplugged. if you wanna deal reverse lockout thatll take some wiring, i didnt and have never hit reverse on the fly.

follow this and its cake.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...wap/index.html
Old 08-12-2011, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

I have everything I need to do it just wanted to get a rough time idea from those who have done it before. I'm hoping to start it one of these Friday nights and finish that Sun. afternoon.

Anyone using an aluminum flywheel? I have both and was thinking just using the stocker.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

From beginning to end it took me 12 hours with looong breaks and cleanup/putting up tools. It cost me right at $2000 total in parts, some new some used. I bought the parts over a span of 4 months and had to convert my tranny from lt1 to ls1 style in the process (super easy).
Old 08-12-2011, 03:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MR_M
From beginning to end it took me 12 hours with looong breaks and cleanup/putting up tools. It cost me right at $2000 total in parts, some new some used. I bought the parts over a span of 4 months and had to convert my tranny from lt1 to ls1 style in the process (super easy).
That's what I like to hear.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

You should definitely be able to do it in your desired time frame. I spent more time screwing off than actual labor. I would say 6-7hrs was actual work lol.

I did spend an hour devising a way to get to the top tranny bolt on the auto though. You may not have as much trouble as I did. I ended up hanging all kinds of misc things on the tailshaft of the auto (was using a lift) to angle it down enough for me to get at the bolt lol.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MR_M
You should definitely be able to do it in your desired time frame. I spent more time screwing off than actual labor. I would say 6-7hrs was actual work lol.

I did spend an hour devising a way to get to the top tranny bolt on the auto though. You may not have as much trouble as I did. I ended up hanging all kinds of misc things on the tailshaft of the auto (was using a lift) to angle it down enough for me to get at the bolt lol.
I ended up linking 3 or so feet worth of various sized extensions because I didn't want to buy anymore. So I had like a 1/2" 12, two 1/2" 6's, a 1/2 to 3/8" adapter, two 3/8" 6's, and then a deep socket.

Luckily I had access to air tools so it wasn't as annoying as trying to turn that with a ratchet at the back of the transmission.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Could easily be done in the time you mentioned as long as you have all your parts gathered up. My total time was around 8-10 hours of labor.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I knocked mine out in one day. The hardest part for me was installing the pedals and drilling the hole for the master. The rest is pretty straight forward. The wiring is extremely simple.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Took a few weeks total....

Had it done in a weekend, but the tranny I bought in "good working condition" had 2nd gear destroyed. So it had to go out for a Viper Spec Rebuild.

Biggest pain was collecting all the parts, one example was the plastic shifter cup. Found it for $4.95....but shipping was $16.00. The swap and wiring are pretty strait forward, I used a friends lift and tranny jack which helped a bunch!
Old 08-14-2011, 01:07 AM
10 Second Club

i pulled everything out of one car pulled my auto out of mine and installed all the 6 speed stuff in mine in less then 6 hours i did not wire up the clutch swith for the cruise at that time i did it later and it took bout 20 min to do that
Old 08-14-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by optiplex
I dont want to Hijack, but im also planning to do the swap in the near future..what is all involved in the wiring side? I HATE WIRING!..lol

Also are there any write ups or stickies on doing the swap?

Thanks
The best writeup is that sticky in the manual transmission FAQ. it may be 30ish pages long but its got a ton of info in it. especially wiring stuff

Quick Reply: 6 Speed Swap Guys