Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Best T56 Rebuilder

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best T56 Rebuilder

I'm looking to have my t56 rebuilt or buy a rebuilt one. Who is tried and true out there?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

I got my built by Jason at Texas Drivetrain Performance. He does awesome work. I think you can even ship it to him to have it rebuilt if you want.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NewLS1Owner
I got my built by Jason at Texas Drivetrain Performance. He does awesome work. I think you can even ship it to him to have it rebuilt if you want.
i shipped mine to him. quality and customer service was excellent. i would highly recommend them.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys I guess it's a toss up then between them and tick which was also recommended to me.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RPM Transmissions..... HANDSDOWN!!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I will add....

D&D Performance

www.ddperformance.com
Old 08-17-2011, 01:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have rebuilt thousands of T56 Transmissions and we keep our pricing, warranty, turnaround time and customer service as competitive as possible. Check out our prices here, and keep in mind that they include shipping both ways: http://www.tickperformance.com/categ...-%26-Trans-Am/
Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey@TickPerf
We have rebuilt thousands of T56 Transmissions and we keep our pricing, warranty, turnaround time and customer service as competitive as possible. Check out our prices here, and keep in mind that they include shipping both ways: http://www.tickperformance.com/categ...-%26-Trans-Am/
^^^^^^^^^^^^^UH this guys name ALWAYS comes up and his reputation is unquestionable.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tick did mine and turn around was incredible. Spent more time in transit then it did in their shop. They got it on a Tuesday and had it ready to ship by Thursday. Would have been done wednesday but we had to play a little phone tag since I live in the middle of no where and didn't get the message till later in the day.

Got it installed and it runs fantastic.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:30 AM
FormerVendor

You can't go wrong with Tick or TDP. Both do great work. Stick to the top vendors here on the forum that are here to answer your questions every day and help you with any issues. Your best bet is continue researching like you are and find the company that can turn your trans around in the best timeframe for you and within your budget. We would be happy to help you out as well. Let me know if there is anything we can do for you or if you wanna ask some questions I'd be happy to answer them.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

TexasDriveTrainPerformance hands down!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jason at TDP is da BOMB!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
RPM Transmissions..... HANDSDOWN!!
+1

The BEST company I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with, for anything!! Weve had a loaded Level V T56 since March of 06, and it has been abused. Its been in 2 different cars, and i would guess about 40,000+ miles, and never even a hiccup.

Their customer service is incredible, and they really do know their stuff!! Look at alot of the fastest LS cars out there, and youll see more than a few have RPM in common.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:29 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Thanks for All the recommendations!
We have re-structured the shop a lot in the last few months to maximize our efficiency. So 90% of the time, we can get the trans build done the SAME DAY or the next day, at the latest. We also have an exchange program. We can send you a built trans at full price. Then once you send in the core, you'll receive a refund for the difference. It ends up being the exact same price as building your transmission, but you will have zero downtime with this. The only downside is that you have to pay $1900 up front.
For example, you buy the trans for $1900, then send yours in. Once yours is torn down, lets say its a $1100 build (which is about average). Then you'd receive $800 back, minus shipping.
I'd be glad to help you out.....contact info is in my sig below. Thanks!

-Jason
Old 09-05-2011, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Talking

Originally Posted by joey@tick
we have rebuilt thousands of t56 transmissions and we keep our pricing, warranty, turnaround time and customer service as competitive as possible. Check out our prices here, and keep in mind that they include shipping both ways: http://www.tickperformance.com/categ...-%26-trans-am/

top notch sponsor/american company:d:d
Old 09-05-2011, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Here to co-sign Jason @ TDP. Awesome product as well as outstanding customer service, (which is equally important and dwindling amongst a lot of the bigger names), where it seems that quantity supersedes quality

I have a fully built stg 3+ performing flawlessly... numbers in sig
Old 09-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NewLS1Owner

same here, i drove there, he had in in and done by 1030 am, then i "surprised" him and asked if he could rebuild my rear end, he was done with everything by 4pm. excellent work and i would trust him with a ferrari
Old 09-07-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Jason at TDP did not rebuild my tranny but he provided valuable advice and parts that allowed me to rebuild my own with great success. I would not hesitate for a second to allow him to rebuild mine if I had to have someone else do it. Very nice and professional guy with a great board reputation and plenty of happy customers.

I did not like working with Tick because I could not talk on the phone with them and troubleshoot my issues. They require correspondence to be done via email which in my opinion, is lame and not very personal considering the money about to be spent. I was also disturbed by their advice that I received stating it is normal for the 5/6 cluster gear to fit loosely on the main shaft and that this would not cause the 5/6 vibe issue. This loose fitting gear and the worn shaft was the heart of my T56 5/6 gear vibration issue and there is no way in Hell, IMO, that can be considered normal.

Jason at TDP gave me a 99.9% assurance that once I tore my tranny down, I would find an issue with the main shaft and the 5/6. He was 100% correct.

No experience with RPM.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Just for those that are reading this, I'd like to point out that anyone who has a tech question and calls us will receive an answer. Joey answers all the tech mail and tech calls that he can, however he is not the builder and many tech questions are simply over his head. For those questions, he fowards them to my email or my voice mail.

Answering tech calls would be a full time job if all calls were answered as we receive them. No transmissions would be built if I answer calls during the day. I average about 10 transmissions a week and always have several waiting. I am the only trans builder here. I return calls everyday between 5 and 6pm. My extension is 2003.

Its not uncommon that I miss a day of returning calls because a local customer has me tied up or we simply have to reach a deadline with a customers car which requires me to wrench rather than speak on the phone.

Currently I am two days behind on my tech calls. Its unfortunate that I can't return calls quicker, but we are very blessed with business and for that I am thankful. There are days when I have 20 plus calls to return which takes much, much longer than the hour I set aside.

As for the 5/6 gear being lose, that is not normal nor is that something I would ever tell a customer. It is common however, probably more than 50% of the f-body transmissions we see have a gear that is so loose it will slip off by hand. This does mean that it is worn, but it does not necessarily mean it will vibrate. We make a judgement call on the condition of the splines on the main shaft and driven gear and replace them when necessary. I have seen plenty that were somewhat loose that didn't have a vibration issue. Its easy to predict a worn shaft and driven gear when over 50% of them are worn.

As Jeremy at RPM said, there are plenty of good vendors on here that can rebuild a transmission. I hope all customers do their research and choose a builder based experience, turnaround time, or price. But please don't choose a builder or parts vendor based on some false information you read on here by a forum member who for all I know never gave me the opportunity to answer his questions. I know our policies and how Joey handles questions that he can't answer and those policies certainly do not require correspondence via email. I do prefer email when possible, it allows me to go home to my family where I can spend time with them and stay caught up on tech questions at the same time.

-Jonathan
Old 09-09-2011, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Jason's customer service at TDP is 2nd to none. When I needed a clutch, he discussed all available options over the phone (not PM's and emails) until we came up with what suited my needs best. He even stayed in touch with me after the install to make sure everything came out as expected and that I was satisfied. I know without a doubt who will be cracking open my next T56 when the time comes.

Quick Reply: Best T56 Rebuilder