Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Slave Shim Problems (454 LSX Textrailia Twin Disc)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Slave Shim Problems (454 LSX Textrailia Twin Disc)

Im having a hard time figuring out the clutch...

I had the car on the road for the first time in a few years a month ago, but I was spinning a SPEC Stage 3. So I pulled it out, and a AWESOME buddy of mine, swapped me his Textralia Twin for mine, I just had to get new discs for it.

So I got a set of Iron Discs made for it. When I went to put her in gear, the clutch pressure was very uneven, and wouldnt let it go into gear, obviously the clutch wasnt disengaging enough.

When I put it together I put in a shim for the slave cylinder, without measuring... woops. So I took it apart, thinking that was messed up, and looked up how to measure to find if I need a shim. It all measured correctly... :/ So i decided to get a new slave... When I got it, I compared the new one to my old one, and realized my old one wasnt able to compress as much as the new one.... so the new one has twice the travel, SWEET problem solved... right?

no...

Measuring now I get;

B: is 1.988"
A: is 2.661"

Has anybody ever had to use a .5"+ shim?

Or what is fucked up?

Only thing I can think of is that the new disc's are too thick..

I hope that is not the case.

but I am going to go pull everything apart and compare them to the old broken discs.

Any help would be appreciated... If I can get this thing on the road today, that would be awesome.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well its not the discs... they measure the same as the old discs....

so now im clueless...
Old 08-21-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to imagine your old slave had half of the travel the new one does. On your old slave, did you have the bleeder opened when you compressed it to take the measurement from the face of the throwout bearing to the mounting surface of the trans?

Also, is the "B" 1.988 measurement you provided the distance measured from the face of the bellhousing to the contact point of the fingers of the pressure plate fingers?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
Hard to imagine your old slave had half of the travel the new one does. On your old slave, did you have the bleeder opened when you compressed it to take the measurement from the face of the throwout bearing to the mounting surface of the trans?

Also, is the "B" 1.988 measurement you provided the distance measured from the face of the bellhousing to the contact point of the fingers of the pressure plate fingers?
Yea, that was my fault. I had it open, but I didnt squeeze hard enough before... I got it to fully compress earlier tonight, but that still didnt get me closer to an answer.

Sorry, I meant to explain the A and B

B is actually the TOB to the face of the trans

A is the face of the bellhousing to the PP Fingers
Old 08-24-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone? Id really appreciate some help
Old 08-25-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
Anyone? Id really appreciate some help
I'm not familiar with the multiple disk setups. Here are the distances I got from my last single disk setup:

Pressure Plate contact surface to the mating surface of the bell housing:
TO bearing to mating surface of the trans:
extended- 2.887
fully compressed-2.021

If you take 2.152 and subtract 2.021, you come up with an air gap of .131.
The total travel of the slave is .866

Your "B" measurement of 1.988 sounds typical for a stock slave, installed without a shim. If we use your dimensions, 2.661 is how far the PP fingers are from the surface of the bellhousing to trans mating surface.
.673 would be your airgap. I dont know of a .5 shim. The thickest I've personally seen is .170 I think. That still wouldnt be enough for me. If you could stack 3 of those together, you might be ok. Maybe you could even get by with 2. Surely someone here has a measurement of a new tex twin? Otherwise, you'll just have to stack the shims. Just remember though, IF you do that, you'll probably have to slot the bellhousing to clear the bleeder.
The only other thing I can think of is if the new disks are too thick. For example, I have my disks custom made. The first two, I had made with a thickness of .312. The one I had made last time measured .350. I wanted to see if it made any difference. It did give me a bit bigger air gap but I dont know by how much. With 2 disks, this problem would be doubled if they originally were the thinner pucks.
Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
I'm not familiar with the multiple disk setups. Here are the distances I got from my last single disk setup:

Pressure Plate contact surface to the mating surface of the bell housing:
TO bearing to mating surface of the trans:
extended- 2.887
fully compressed-2.021

If you take 2.152 and subtract 2.021, you come up with an air gap of .131.
The total travel of the slave is .866

Your "B" measurement of 1.988 sounds typical for a stock slave, installed without a shim. If we use your dimensions, 2.661 is how far the PP fingers are from the surface of the bellhousing to trans mating surface.
.673 would be your airgap. I dont know of a .5 shim. The thickest I've personally seen is .170 I think. That still wouldnt be enough for me. If you could stack 3 of those together, you might be ok. Maybe you could even get by with 2. Surely someone here has a measurement of a new tex twin? Otherwise, you'll just have to stack the shims. Just remember though, IF you do that, you'll probably have to slot the bellhousing to clear the bleeder.
The only other thing I can think of is if the new disks are too thick. For example, I have my disks custom made. The first two, I had made with a thickness of .312. The one I had made last time measured .350. I wanted to see if it made any difference. It did give me a bit bigger air gap but I dont know by how much. With 2 disks, this problem would be doubled if they originally were the thinner pucks.
Good luck and keep us updated.
Thanks I appreciate your response. Yesterday I decided to just bolt it together, and try it, I didnt get it done, but I guess well see. I decided extra shims would be a bad idea because like you said the bellhousing is in the way. Im really annoyed, and wish someone had a definitive answer for me. I dont have much time to screw with this thing anymore.

I guess if it doesnt work , ill make a monster spacer for it and give it a try, but it seems retarted, I cant find anyone else who has had this problem.

Last edited by PUNISHER TA; 08-25-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone want to buy a Textrailia...? has new iron clutches good for 1000+TQ
Old 08-25-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn learned alot...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ff-idle-2.html

guess im gonna go pull it all back apart

according to the thread, my discs are supposed to be .312-.314 and i think i remember they were ~.400 even though (looking back) I ordered them at .330....

so i guess I have a few calls to make tomorrow... this thing is never gonna see the road.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the car tore apart... measured right at .330"

Not sure where the measurement came from, woops. but they are definitely wrong.

Gonna give Clutch and brake exchange a call tomorrow, and see what he can do for me... Hopefully its not too bad, Im in school with zero income right now. ****!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Called Clutch and brake exchange and they said that they could switch out the buttons with some smaller ones which could the thickness to .311".

Then I called Textralia Texas and the guy was very helpful, I learned alot.

He told me I would be fine to shim the pressure plate out a little, to bring the fingers flat like they are supposed to be.

Anyway, Im sure no one really cares about this. I just wanted to bring this to a close, in case anyone else has this problem, they can search and hopefully find this and not feel so alone
Old 08-26-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
Called Clutch and brake exchange and they said that they could switch out the buttons with some smaller ones which could the thickness to .311".

Then I called Textralia Texas and the guy was very helpful, I learned alot.

He told me I would be fine to shim the pressure plate out a little, to bring the fingers flat like they are supposed to be.

Anyway, Im sure no one really cares about this. I just wanted to bring this to a close, in case anyone else has this problem, they can search and hopefully find this and not feel so alone
Glad to see you made some headway! With my setup, I wished I had installed a .312, measured the fingers to bellhousing and then swapped in the .350 and measured again just to see how much difference it made. If you get the .312 disks in, post up the new measurement. I'm curious to see what .036 of material off the disks translates into finger position.

Quick Reply: Clutch Slave Shim Problems (454 LSX Textrailia Twin Disc)