Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Auto To Manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto To Manual

I have 2 cars. One being my car and the other being the donor. I wanna make my automatic stick. Both the same year and model Trans Am. I wanted to no from the people who've dont this how long did it take u to do it hours wise. I found some write ups but does anyone have any information for me helpful tips or advice. Do i need to change my whole wiring harness. Do i have to switch my computer? Im gunna take the engine and tranny both so would i carry the computer from the parts car? To the people whove done this have u had any problems or noises from the swap. Im real curios to no because few people i no done this didnt make it the whole way always had some sort of problem. I also no the clutch is bad in the tranny and it makes a grinding sound and pops outta gear wut is that. Is that just the clutch or is it other things. The car has full exhaust and a cold air intake and thats it so what clutch do you guys recommend and what type of oil it has syncromesh in it now. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

you can find answers to everything you asked pretty easily in this section so keep searching and searching

1. 20 hours taking it slow
2. you can change harness or rewire it
3. can reflash stock computer, or swap in a 6 speed computer if you have one
4. there's always a potential for problems/noises if you cut corners so take your time and do things right
5. it is more than likely "other things" so prepare to have it rebuilt
6. I like TDP's diamond stage 2 in my car, stage 1 is plenty for bolt ons and beyond
7. normal ATF, you can run synchromesh if it has updated/replacement carbon blocker rings if you'd like, but for me it just cost 4x more and didn't work any better in the long run
Old 08-23-2011, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the input