Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tired of mt A4

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of mt A4

Hello All, I know this is possibly not a topic of interest but I thought I would bring it up again. My A4 is slipping....AGAIN. I love my WS6 but want to throw my A4 in the trash. I have had my A4 rebuilt one year ago by??? I can not recall the name but anyway, sometime (only god knows when) the transmission will not want to shift to 4th gear. Since this is the second time my transmission it doing this (slipping) I thought I would start doing research into a T-56.
So If guys could shed some light into how much would it cost to convert to a M6. Of course not doing the labor myself.
P.S.
I am not rich, I would like to do it the most cost efficient way but IF I have to will spend as much.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious to know about your car.... how much power does it make? What power adders if any? When you say it was built a year ago... was it built by someone who understands and specializes in your 60E or was it a local shop who builds all sorts of transmissions?

Feel free to give me a call if you like... I've converted many 4th gen f-bodies in every way imaginable for clients all across the country. I don't mind getting involved to try and help you out there bud.

g
Old 08-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Now I remember it was AAMCO Transmissions. Before AAMCO rebuilt it, the car drove near perfect just occasions it would not want to shift to 4th gear when I was on freeway doing about 60-70mps. rpms would just shoot up until I put it natural and then switched back to drive. AAMCO rebuilt transmission, well the 3rd and 4th gear and some other stuff. But now a year later it doing the same thing. All my car has is full exhaust nothing major.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TrueMuscle=WS6
So If guys could shed some light into how much would it cost to convert to a M6. Of course not doing the labor myself.
to buy/rebuild trans, nice clutch, good hydraulics, factory hurst, and a few other little goodies it cost me $3k doing the labor myself. I have no idea what people charge to do the swap though.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, although I haven't had any issues with my A4, I've always wanted an M6 and considered doing the swap. However, after really looking into it, unless you can find a wrecked M6 car that you can take all the parts from, you really are better off selling your car and just buying an M6.

You obviously need the trans and clutch, but then things like cross member, pedals, master, slave, shifter, PCM and wiring harness if you want it like factory (although not necessary I suppose). Then with the A4 I'm sure you have 2.73 gears..maybe you have 3.23 since you have a WS6 but that is something else you'll have to consider. You don't want a 6 speed with 2.73 gears.

After adding that all up, plus the work to do the swap, it just didn't seem worth it for me but I guess it depends on how attached you are to your car.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Its a shitty rebuild's fault not the transmission's. Find a better builder.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Its a shitty rebuild's fault not the transmission's. Find a better builder.
I agree just find somebody that knows what they are doing and get them to rebuild it. If you're not going to do the swap yourself it's not going to be cheap at all
Old 08-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Teching In

I only paid $100 of the $2200 to have my tranny rebuilt it was still under warranty. $3k for parts im guessing another $1k for labor? I can afford that, but now would it be worth it. I dont want to have to deal with the tranny after this.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a lot for all the parts. I'm thinking of doing of also doing the swap since I just lost my third gear and fourth this Friday and the junk yard gave me a quote of 1600 for everything I will need. They specialize in ls1 cars so they know what I will need from the flywheel to the drive shaft pedals and interior trim.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blown97ss
That's a lot for all the parts. I'm thinking of doing of also doing the swap since I just lost my third gear and fourth this Friday and the junk yard gave me a quote of 1600 for everything I will need. They specialize in ls1 cars so they know what I will need from the flywheel to the drive shaft pedals and interior trim.
yes you can get away with $2k and under, but when people are quoting $3k, that is new parts and/or rebuilt transmission. I spent almost $3k on the dot and got a Morris built trans, tick master and new monster stage 2. if i went to used parts i could have gotten away much cheaper.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok yeah I just can't see someone spending 3k stock parts. But now that u say that's for nice parts then it will be worth it. But for a stock daily driver not so much.

Quick Reply: Tired of mt A4