Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

learning how to shift????

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default learning how to shift????

here goes-- did the whole shootin match,monster,tick,flywheel,etc. trans ; carbon fiber syncros,billet keys,steel 3/4 fork, bronze pads.no new shifter, i was bangin gears like it was a muncie trying to rip the shifter out of the floor from first to second and missed third twice. i broke on of the two screw in shift alignment pins in the top of the tranny. got it fixed, trans back in,[fat guy on his back!] new mgw shifter. i was told this is an educated mans transmission. my question is this:how do i shift? speed shift? without tearing up my ****.this old man needs some advice thanks in advance . i'm ready to hunt some rice!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was running with the MGW in my TA when It came out for our cars, It is truly one of the best shifters for our cars, I came off of a pro 5.0 and got the MGW no comparison. You dont have to force the trans in gear, if it is that difficult something is wrong, quick PRECISE throws and you will be on target, all the stuff you got is top of the line stuff,,It is meant to live up to the power that a serious engine delivers,, It is not meant to beat on by magilla gorilla,,, LOL You have a great setup, and should have no problems, take the car out and pull thru the RPMs, push the clutch in and pop it into the next gear then Let off the clutch. I never let off the accelerator when I was running my car hard, I am not a fan of shifting without the clutch myself, never been to good at it. Practice your pattern, the MGW has a real good detent to get you into third, so It is easier than other shifters at HIGH RPMs. One of the things it does NOT have is a stop bolt to stop you from jabbing the shifter thru the trans.. REMEMBER, the shifts are about precise speed, not force.. Hope this helps,
Old 08-28-2011, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

The MGW pretty much shifts itself. I'm only 140lbs with arms made of sticks and I can shift decently enough. It's just like RARON said, All you have to do is Be precise and quick. no need to man handle it.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Default shifting

got my car on the ground and went for a ride... got to the stop sign a 1/4 mile from my house , decided to let her eat, hooked up, no clutch slip, grabbed 2nd and the *** came around on me and i ran straight into the front of my niehbors rolloff wrecker. fucked my car up!!!! gotta see if its totalled.my friend owns a body shop. this cars my baby..hope i can fix it.got full coverage , i hate using it for fear of raising rates i need internal fender body parts does anyone know of a place that sells internal stucture parts?? thanks, does'nt look lice ls shootout for me this year ,will be the only one i've missed...
Old 08-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Teching In

sad sad story my friend
Old 08-28-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Props to you for havin the ***** to admit you can't drive in a straight line. Glad your ok though
Old 08-28-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
my question is this:how do i shift? speed shift? without tearing up my ****.
To answer your question..... Your doing it wrong
Old 08-30-2011, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

At least you figured out your problem. You can't drive. Glad to hear you didn't kill yourself. Hope you can get your car fixed, and if you do, hunt some driving lessons before you pick on the ricers.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

got my car on the ground and went for a ride... got to the stop sign a 1/4 mile from my house , decided to let her eat, hooked up, no clutch slip, grabbed 2nd and the *** came around on me and i ran straight into the front of my niehbors rolloff wrecker. fucked my car up!!!! gotta see if its totalled.my friend owns a body shop. this cars my baby..hope i can fix it.got full coverage , i hate using it for fear of raising rates i need internal fender body parts does anyone know of a place that sells internal stucture parts?? thanks, does'nt look lice ls shootout for me this year ,will be the only one i've missed...
Gotta stay on the throttle, feather it and ride it out.

Lifting hard off the throttle will make you hook and, well...send you into a rolloff wrecker, or whatever that thing is.

"Big Rig Wreckers' miine"
Old 08-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Damn that sucks. When I first got my car I took it to a WIDE open area to see how the car would react in certain situations so I wouldnt hit anything if I decided to horse around or had to defend the cars honor.

How the hell did you break all that stuff in a built trans? Do you shift from 1-2by jumping into the back seat??!!!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Default parts

went to craigs list first time in my life and found me a parts car for 650 and ten miles from my house. body shop friend is coming by the house thursday night. he said anything can be fixxed!!!! damn i love confident friends.. i might make it to lsx after all. should i paint it or learn to shift first??? when life gives you lemons, make lemonade....bless you all ls nation..
Old 09-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

yeah you cant shift lol....
Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

i would slow it down a bit.. your car makes enough power that shifting a little slower wont hurt..
Old 09-07-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey ol'man, I heard the story at work. Sounds like it's salvagable...inner fender stuff? Maybe some weight reduction going to happen. As for shiftin', just keep doin what your doin but try and keep it in a straight line. Good to hear your OK.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Teching In

This blows my mind, how can you not shift. I mean it sounds like your over enthusiastic about bangin gears. Or this is just a ******* joke.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tell you what, when i first got my car (first manual ever) I could read a novel in bewteen my shifts and i always missed gears. My problem was my feet were quicker than my hands. Seat time is really the only way to get better. Here is the first time i took the car to the track, talk about granny shifting! LOL I've picked up over .5 sec just in learning how to drive the car, and i still dont powershift it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrZWn...eature=related
Old 09-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That blows oldman glad ur ok bro.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

got my donor car apart, core support, right front inner fender,headlight buckets etc. now i look under my car and my right side header is snugged up to my k-member and other side is snugged to starter.hidden damage abounds!!! t-tops out of alignment,drivers side up higher than passenger. this stuff is starting s**k!!!! if this wasnt a 1SC i'd cut it up!! but--- it will be back i have faith just can't keep from kicking my self in the ***.. and the beat goes on...
Old 09-08-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V68Sweep
Gotta stay on the throttle, feather it and ride it out.

Lifting hard off the throttle will make you hook and, well...send you into a rolloff wrecker, or whatever that thing is.

"Big Rig Wreckers' miine"
how do you "stay in the throttle" without over-revving between shifts? I've never shifted without lifting.

Quick Reply: learning how to shift????