Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2002 Camaro SS Shifter Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Camaro SS Shifter Vibration

I recently purchased a ~28k mile 2002 SS to add to the collection. The car has a stock (SLP) 6 speed Hurst shifter with an aftermarket (Hurst) shift **** with a line lock button switch for the front brakes. The shifter has started to rattle and vibrate pretty excessively under acceleration. I can keep it from rattling for the most part if I hold onto the shifter while driving. It otherwise shifts fine into every gear, but the rattling has become very annoying. I thought initially that this might be coming from the line lock switch on the ****, but it doesn't seem to be - it's somewhere within the shifter assembly itself.

I haven't pulled the console apart yet or gone underneath to investigate, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if there is a quick fix or adjustment for this condition?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bigblox
Old 09-07-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same shifter and mine rattles in third gear under heavy throttle. I am suspecting the tranny mount is to blame.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking the same thing. Or possibly the Control Arm or shifter mounting plate.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro SS Shifter Vibration