Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ok, somebody explain this to me...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, somebody explain this to me...

I back out of the driveway and notice that my clutch won't release back up. I manage to drive a couple of miles down the road with a lot of difficulty changing gears plus the fact I have to manually lift the clutch pedal back up with my foot. So now my night is ruined because I was supposed to go watch the football game at my g/f's house, therefore I turn around and manage to get the car back home. I get her back in the garage with the pedal still jacked up...so I look under the hood and open the clutch fluid reservoir and notice it is a little low. So I put the cap back on and get ready to go get some fluid. For the hell of it, I get back in the car and press the pedal and it come all the way back up and it feels fine..very odd. So I take the car out to get brake fluid and it runs fine all the way there. I get home and fill up the reservoir...So here is my question...How did just opening the filler cap and putting it back on make the clutch work fine? I am in no way a transmission/clutch person so i'm stumped...
Old 09-09-2011, 10:14 AM
FormerVendor

It isn't likely the opening of the cap that did this on its own. The that fact that you actuated the pedal several times over the course of the drive allowed pressure to rebuild in the system. The low fluid level may evidence a leak in the hydraulic system. This can be evidenced by fluid leaking from the bell-housing or on the firewall. Additionally, you may have an internal leak that will not be evidenced by visible fluid. Either way the best way to start is to check for leaks and have the hydraulic system bled to insure that it isn;t an issue of aerated fluid. Give this a shot and let us know what you find. Thanks!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Luckily I have no leaks anywhere inside or outside the car. So thats a good sign so far...I drove the car today and it ran great.