Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Spec Clutch

Old 09-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Spec Clutch

Put a new Spec Stage 1 clutch in my TA, got the tranny up and bolted, tried to press in on the clutch and it won't press in. And I can't get the Slave Cylinder line pushed in... What could be the problem that the line won't go in on the transmission?

AND the clutch kit came with a shim but looked at it and it didn't look like it needed it so we didn't put it in. Now that the tranny is up and bolted, I look at this damn piece of paper it came with and it says that it must be installed behind the slave-cylinder and that the kit is intended for the shim and failure to do so will lead to low engagement point and incomplete release...

So now I'm guessing that the f*cking transmission has to be dropped again and I have to put the shim in.... Anyway I can get away with not putting it in?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:47 AM
Teching In

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsJ805umImg
Your suppose to measure to see if you need the shim. How did you try and push the clutch in if you can't get the line in?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 01TAchick
Put a new Spec Stage 1 clutch in my TA, got the tranny up and bolted, tried to press in on the clutch and it won't press in. And I can't get the Slave Cylinder line pushed in... What could be the problem that the line won't go in on the transmission?

.... Anyway I can get away with not putting it in?
On the first part, take the diaphragm out of your clutch reservoir. I had this problem, then realized I had the system closed. Clutch fluid is considered non-compressible... open the bleed on your slave, open the clutch fluid reservoir above the MC and you should have it pop right in.

Any way to get away without putting the shim in? Yeah, get a Monster I believe my roommate installed a Spec stage 1 on a V6 without the shim and his worked, but no way around it on the LS1.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:57 AM
FormerVendor

We provide a sheet with measurement instructions with these kits (assume that this was bought from us or a dealer that hasn;t had the part on the shelf for an eternity). I can send it to you if you like but the info is the same as that provided in the video.

OP, it seems that you indicate no pedal movement. Make sure that the line that connects the master to the slave is fitted properly. If the pedal will not compress at all it most likely due to an issue of fluid transfer. If this were shim related the clutches engagement would be low relative to pedal travel and you don't seem to describe this. Let me know what you find.

Thanks for the insite meal...our V6 kits don't include a shim and aren't intended to use one. When checking the masurement the bleeder on the slave should be open to bleed off risidual pressure. You should also remove the spring beneath the bearing too. All of this is noted.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

This must be how clutch companies get a bad name?
Old 09-12-2011, 02:55 PM
FormerVendor

Nmbr1, Not sure why you say that! I am trying to assist the customer to the best of my ability with the info provided. If you have an issue you are welcome to contact me for assist. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Nmbr1, Not sure why you say that! I am trying to assist the customer to the best of my ability with the info provided. If you have an issue you are welcome to contact me for assist. Thanks!
My point is, Spec is in the title and the clutch won't work. The obvious problem is install error, not a Spec problem.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01TAchick

AND the clutch kit came with a shim but looked at it and it didn't look like it needed it so we didn't put it in. Now that the tranny is up and bolted, I look at this damn piece of paper it came with and it says that it must be installed behind the slave-cylinder and that the kit is intended for the shim and failure to do so will lead to low engagement point and incomplete release...

So now I'm guessing that the f*cking transmission has to be dropped again and I have to put the shim in.... Anyway I can get away with not putting it in?
If the line is not hooked up then the fluid cannot move. If you try and press the pedal down with the line unhook you can blow out the clutch master cylinder. Try opening the bleeder on the slave and then installing the line. It should go in. You also need to put the shim in.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:25 PM
FormerVendor

Nmbr1, I am simply providing information on possible causes based on the info provided by the OP. I'm not sure how we would be responsible for an issue with the connection of the hydraulic line from the Master to Slave. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion though.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan
My point is, Spec is in the title and the clutch won't work. The obvious problem is install error, not a Spec problem.
Nmbr1, I am simply providing information on possible causes based on the info provided by the OP. I'm not sure how we would be responsible for an issue with the connection of the hydraulic line from the Master to Slave. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion though.
Jeremy, read my post. Spec should NOT be in the title as its NOT a spec issue. Its an install problem, as with most clutch issues. Far as Im concerned Spec goes above its commitment to customers by having you here helping.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

I got you...I guess is read your original post differently than you intended it...sometimes its hard to read tone/intent on a forum post. Thanks for the support.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got you...I guess is read your original post differently than you intended it...sometimes its hard to read tone/intent on a forum post. Thanks for the support.
No prob.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Spec Clutch