Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 locking in 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 locking in 5th gear

Well guys got a question for y'all. Just got a tranny rebuild and upgraded to a stage 2 kit with brass syncros and new bearing and forks.I upgraded to a ram hd clutch kit able to hold up to 500a hp. Replace the slave upgraded to a tick performance master cylinder. Been driving it for a few weeks now. I waited till I got 700 city miles on it to break in the clutch n tranny. Today before I got to the track I tested it on the street n it shifted fine. I stop at the store make sure my tire pressure was right and then drove off. I shifted up to 5th gear as I left, when I got to the stop sign it was locked in 5th and was hard to come out. So I messed with it a while and it finally came out. Drove fine till I started going home did the same thing when I shifted to 5th it was stuck again, messed with it some more it came back out n drove fine. Anybody have any ideas on what the problem could be. Oyea its in a 2002 trans am
Old 09-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have almost the same story with my GTO. But mine is worse. It got stuck in 5th so bad I couldnt get it out. Had to hit shifter with a hammer to get back to neutral, and now only 1-3-5 will go in. No 2-4-6 or reverse. Same deal, fresh rebuild, new synchros. Shifted mint before it did this.... Really like to know what the problem is before I just change the tranny....again
Old 09-12-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Can be several things, but usually "stuck" in gear means the synchro keys have broken. Since most "stage2" kits don't replace the 5/6 keys with billet ones, they can still break even after an expensive rebuild.. If you're sure it's only 5th, that any shifter stops are removed, and that the clutch/hyd system is 100% working, then have the trans removed and opened up again before more damage is caused..

Quick Reply: t56 locking in 5th gear