Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch ?'s

Old 09-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch ?'s

i need a new clutch in my 2000 SS. ive been looking around and leaning towards the monster level 1. Have a few questions on what all im going to need. The premium package is what i was looking at that comes with H.D. pressure plate, 12" organic clutch disc, 28lbs SFI certified billet steel flywheel or a 15lbs chromoly flywheel (your choice), pilot bearing, release bearing, slave cylinder, and alignment tool. I guess the question i am asking is what Diameter to i need to get? 12" or 11" one better than the other or will only one fit my car? also is it recomended to replace all these parts? or is it a waste of money...thanks
Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get the level 2, pilot bearing, 28lb f/w, slave cylinder and new gm master.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much power do you plan to make. A level one will hold the power of even a car with full bolt-on heads and a cam car if you keep street radials on it. but if you plan on running drag radials at the strip then i'd go with a level 2, and get a Tick master cylinder the factory master is margenal for even a stock clutch. You'll want a 12inch cluct the 11's are for the really hardcore racing guys and monster level1-6 I think are all 12inch cluches. If you have any other questions I'd post them in the manual transmission forum you'll get alot more responses from real experts or just call,email,pm one of the monster clutch people they'll hook you up with exactly what you need. but I'd watch out for people telling you to get more clutch than you need, if your only planning to make 400rwhp then theres no need for a level 2 or 3 clutch and thats what alot of people will tell you to get.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of power does the car make?

We offer a Tick Performance & Monster Clutch Complete Clutch Swap Package that comes with EVERYTHING you should upgrade while you've got it apart. Details here: http://www.tickperformance.com/ls1-f...-swap-package/
Old 09-22-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats the exact kit I plan to get this spring. I wish I had the money now my slave just died so I've got to pack the car early this year.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:20 PM
FormerVendor

If the stock clutch is in the car, then I'd definitely recommend a new slave while you're in there. Our clutches include a new flywheel to ensure you don't have to resurface yours or need a shim as well as you shouldn't use an aggressive friction material used with a cast flywheel, just youtube videos of exploding flywheels. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 09-22-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Need a little more info here. If you're stock/bolt-ons, go with the level 2. I've had mine for a few months and love it. Drives like stock, but grabs like a ****. I also highly recommend the tick adjustable master. It's pricey, but a HUGE upgrade from the stock hydraulics. The pedal is a little stiffer, but it feels great and makes shifting so much quicker and smoother.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Teching In

the car is pretty much stock but it does have headers, full exhaust and a few other little upgrades but i wont be on the track just around town and getting on the gas 1st through 3rd or so. I dont plan on doing much to the engine in the future. its my 1st sports car and i need to get the handle of the ponys she has now!!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went level 2 and I'm glad i did. With the price difference being as small as it is and the driveability of the level 2 being great, Id say go for that one.

Id also recommend looking at the Tick complete package. I went with that because it included the master cylinder and the remote bleeder which has made life EASY on me.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's one that goes against the grain... my car had a stock replacement (Ls6) clutch put in it back in 2006 made by Luk (same as if you went to gm and bought it). My car puts down 379 tq. I daily drive it and play in it here and there and it still holds just fine.

A local guy that has an 06 gto heads/cam puts down around 420tq. is using an autozone/duralast stock replacement clutch because it is a daily driven street car.

Last edited by mean_greenZ; 09-24-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

a new clutch and flywheel from autozone would save you $200 but I'd consider that $200 well spent to not have to worry about pulling my trans again if it starts to slip on my bolt on only car.

Search this Thread