Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Replacing Master, Slave, & Clutch -- Need Help/Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Master, Slave, & Clutch -- Need Help/Opinions

Okay so I have a buddy with a 98' Camaro LS1/6Spd with 31k miles that is having some hydraulic issues, and he wants me to help him decide what parts to buy. For starters the clutch does slip when shifting at high rpms. Also, he has to pump the clutch several times to get a 'stiffer' pedal which Im guessing is the system building pressure. Now I dont know a whole lot about manual transmissions, but from what I've read I'm thinking his problems stem a good bit from the factory GM master cylinder. He figures it would be a good time to upgrade the slave cylinder and factory clutch while he is at it, and I agree with him.

The car has minimal engine mods and has around 320whp if I had to guess. The power will be well below 400whp for a long time, so he doesnt need a crazy clutch setup.

Im pretty dead set on:

Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder - $300
Monster Level 1 Clutch Package - $630
Slave Cylinder - $70
Tick Remote Speedbleeder - $50

It looks like he will save $120 buying from Tick instead of Monster, because they have free shipping & the master is $40 cheaper. Now for some of my questions.

1) The car has 31k miles, should he go ahead and replace the pressure plate/flywheel bolts or will the stockers be okay to reuse?

2) Reading up on remote bleeders they seem like a good product, are they worth it?

3) What clutch fluid is used, anything specific?

4) What transmission fluid is used, again anything specific? I haven't looked up if they take gear oil or ATF yet, but Im sure someone can answer that for me.

I already got a labor quote from a buddy of mine that owns a shop. He has VERY fair labor rates, and is a reputable guy. I will probably help with the install just so I can learn a little bit, because I eventually want to convert mine to a 6spd.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stippy17
1) The car has 31k miles, should he go ahead and replace the pressure plate/flywheel bolts or will the stockers be okay to reuse?
It's okay, but to be safe, should be replaced. Either way use RED locktite. Good time to upgrade to ARP though.

2) Reading up on remote bleeders they seem like a good product, are they worth it?
Mixed feelings here. It's a good piece, but you can make it for about $20.

Get a good Dot 4 and make sure the lines are kept shielded from heat.

4) What transmission fluid is used, again anything specific? I haven't looked up if they take gear oil or ATF yet, but Im sure someone can answer that for me.
Dex III, nothing else. Lots of people like Mobile1 and Redline, but the cheap store brand is fine.
You could have found this info with a 3 minute search, but your welcome.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blwn_by_Twins
You could have found this info with a 3 minute search, but your welcome.
Agreed, for the most part. I run Pennzoil Synchromesh in mine and the damn thing shifts like butter!
Old 09-23-2011, 10:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I already got a labor quote from a buddy of mine that owns a shop. He has VERY fair labor rates, and is a reputable guy. I will probably help with the install just so I can learn a little bit, because I eventually want to convert mine to a 6spd.
1) Totally up to you. We re-use them for guys here in house on a tight budget, replace them for most guys and upgrade them to ARP for guys who want the best possible setup inside their bellhousing.

2) They are absolute life-savers when you need to bleed your clutch. Our Remote SPEEDbleeder Line is easily our best selling product. Guys love it.

3) We suggest using DOT-3 with our master cylinder, although using some other fluids won't have disastrous results.

4) Cheap stuff. Dexron III is what we use and love.

Make sure you check out our Tick Performance & Monster Clutch COMPLETE Clutch Swap Package before you place your order! We sell it all together as a kit at a discounted rate: http://www.tickperformance.com/ls1-f...-swap-package/
Old 09-23-2011, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks everyone. The bolts will be added to the list. I don't think he will mind spending an extra $20. And loctite is added to my notes.

That is the exact kit I was looking at Joey. I just broke down the prices for my buddy so he could see what his money would be going towards.

Okay so Dot 3 (Or Dot 4) clutch fluid. How much will we need? And Dex III trans fluid. How much will we need to do a drain & fill? I can look that up when I get to work if nobody replies.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks everyone. The bolts will be added to the list. I don't think he will mind spending an extra $20. And loctite is added to my notes.

That is the exact kit I was looking at Joey. I just broke down the prices for my buddy so he could see what his money would be going towards.

Okay so Dot 3 (Or Dot 4) clutch fluid. How much will we need? 2 bottles to be safe. And Dex III trans fluid. How much will we need to do a drain & fill? 3.8qts I can look that up when I get to work if nobody replies.
Welcome again.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

I was just about to edit my post because I looked it up. Two bottles of dot 3 & four quarts of dexron III..noted.

I think that's all I needed to know. I can relay this information to my buddy and when he's ready I can put the order in. Thanks

Quick Reply: Replacing Master, Slave, & Clutch -- Need Help/Opinions