Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission went bad?? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission went bad?? HELP!!

Alright so I'm sort of new to the forums but bare with me here.

2000 Camaro SS SLP

- Just hit 20k miles.
- 6 speed T56 B Transmission

Do you know what the B stands for? Is it the same as a regular T56?

The best way to explain the problem is by how it happened so here it goes.

I was driving on the highway coasting in 5th gear over 2000 rpm. I'd say around 3000 or so.. (Love my exhaust) So, I stepped on it slightly to shift in to 6th gear. When I did this I was stepping on the clutch all the way down like normal. However, when I shifted into 6th gear my shifter moved into gear and my car felt like it was in neutral/making this horrible vibration feeling and sound. I pressed the clutch back down immediately and coasted into the slow lane. Here I am freaking out saying NO, NO, NOOOOO.. So I manage to coast to my exit thankfully and now i'm trying to find a gear to go into. I slowed down to about 30 miles an hour and put it into 2nd gear and at first it seemed okay. So, im merging with traffic and am still in 2nd gear and I go to step on it. Instead of taking off flawlessly like normal it felt like my gears were grinding or something was slipping. The whole front end of my car would shake and make this grinding noise if I stepped on it at all... I was able to keep it under 1900 rpm and somehow make it to work by shifting slowly and not stepping on it at all. It wasn't just second gear that it would do this. It would do it in every gear over 2000 rpm give or take. You go to step on it hard and it goes nowhere and makes this noise/vibration.

Anyways, I bought the car a month ago and now I'm up a creek without a paddle and just a credit card. :-(

Do you think the clutch is bad?
Do you think the transmission is bad?
Could the pilot bearing have gone bad?
Anything I should look for when I'm underneath it?
What's the best option if I need to rebuild it myself or have it done by someone else?

My dad's been a mechanic for 40 years and we haven't gotten a chance to get under it yet mind you.

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES IN ADVANCE!!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Default bump

bump? nobody knows?
Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

sounds like clutch damage that you should loosely inspect by seeing if there's any fibre particles coming out around the bellhousing. Have fun w/ Dad. You won't know of trans. damage to the input until things are apart.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Default okay

Thanks for the response Matt. Just trying to see if anyone else has had this happen to them and what their outcome was. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 09-26-2011, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

My car did this when it had about 80K on it. That was several years ago and I connot remember what is was. I do know, I used it as a reason to upgrade my clutch. I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, fly wheel and since my car had the crappy factory hydrolics (99' model) I replace the master and slave. I cannot say for sure, but I think the pressure plate had let go in it.

Last edited by Black 99 Bird; 09-26-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does 5th gear make the same noise when you try to use it now?
Old 09-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Default hey!

So, I sent tick performance an e-mail regarding what happened in hopes that they may be able to tell me what went bad.

I tried to stay in 4th gear for the ride home. But, every gear would do this at about 2000 rpm or more. 1-4 for sure.. I only went into 5th gear to coast home at under 1900 rpm. Didn't want to ruin anything else in there by testing...

I made it home after 25 miles of driving it like this somehow...
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Default Responses from Tick about grind noise and other information.

1. I've never heard of a t-56 B. The early t-56's were manufactured by Borg Warner, then the design must have been purchased by Tremec. They are essentially the same however. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the "b" that you're referring to.

Is your grinding problem something you notice during a shift, or does it happen while you're in gear by simply giving the car more throttle? Does it happen in all gears, just one specific gear, or only the higher gears like 5th and 6th?

I need more info on exactly what it does and when it does it before I can give any more advice. Let me know what you come up with.

2. If the slipping occurs when more power is applied I would first think clutch issues. However that wouldn't exactly explain a grinding sound. The only way a t56 could physically grind or slip in all gears is if the cluster gear and input gear are stripped, but when that happens the vehicle usually would stop going completely. The pilot bearing would make no noise at all even if bad when the clutch is engaged and the car is in gear driving down the road so that rules that out. And the throw out bearing sees the most load when the clutch is disengaged also.

Syncros can grind when the blocker ring becomes worn out, but this grind would occur during a shift.... not as you drive down the road and accelerate. Each gear has its own blocker also, so even if one blocker is worn out or broken the problem wouldn't be present in all gears 1-4.

The other possibility is a damaged differential in the rear end.

3. I would inspect the clutch for wear by looking at the lines that run across the friction material. If those lines are worn down or gone completely its time for a new clutch. I'd also pay close attention to the springs that are in the center of the disk. Even a faulty pressure plate could cause a clutch to slip....usually if the pp is bad the diaphragm fingers will be un-even.

You can check the condition of the trans input bearing and endplay by moving the input shaft up and down. It should have some play, but shouldn't feel excessively loose.

Awesome response time from Tick. Honest responses as well. Taking out transmission in 5 days. Will update with what I find.

THANKS TICKPERFORMANCE.COM
Old 09-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

I had this issue with my t56 out of a 2004 gto installed in my z28. it was a bent shift rod internal to the trans
Old 09-30-2011, 08:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad we could help! Keep our techs posted with what you find.