Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

BAD chatter problem ACT HD Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD chatter problem ACT HD Clutch

01 camaro ss, ACT HD Clutch and flywheel. i have had the clutch in the car for about 4,000 miles but there seems to always be alot of chatter from the day of install, unless i rev it to around 2,000 rpms and let the clutch out in a quick like motion, sometimes tires chirp. it kinda worrys be becuase if i just let the clutch out with little/or no gas it shakes the whole frekin car and makes this loud clacking type noise, freaks me the hell out. but i figured out that as long as give it a good amount of gas on take off its not so bad but it is still there from time to time. but i just wanna ask if it could possible be something else and that noise is not normal, like tranny mounts, u joint. car has 57,000 miles on it right now, its,

i have xr275cam, long tube headers, slp lid,and im only making 365hp 382TQ, fyi.

any insight would be great thanks.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:01 AM
FormerVendor

In your other thread to mentioned a potential hydraulic issue. Get this remedied first and keep us posted relative to any changes that may result. Remember, that a pucked disc, as a result of its reduced surface are, will be more prone to chatter. If you are riding the pedal when releasing it this will be made even order. Many times when someone experiences chatter they respond by dragging their foot during clutch release which will actually make chatter worse. Try being a little quicker when releasing the pedal and see if that helps! Thanks,
Old 09-30-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NowlinX22
01 camaro ss, ACT HD Clutch and flywheel. i have had the clutch in the car for about 4,000 miles but there seems to always be alot of chatter from the day of install, unless i rev it to around 2,000 rpms and let the clutch out in a quick like motion, sometimes tires chirp. it kinda worrys be becuase if i just let the clutch out with little/or no gas it shakes the whole frekin car and makes this loud clacking type noise, freaks me the hell out. but i figured out that as long as give it a good amount of gas on take off its not so bad but it is still there from time to time. but i just wanna ask if it could possible be something else and that noise is not normal, like tranny mounts, u joint. car has 57,000 miles on it right now, its,

i have xr275cam, long tube headers, slp lid,and im only making 365hp 382TQ, fyi.

any insight would be great thanks.
Those HP numbers, as long as they're at the wheel, aren't too bad. That seems to be about average-but have you gotten the car tuned yet?

At my work I sell high performance car parts, and we sell ACT clutches all day long. The light weight flywheel WILL give some chatter. That's just the give and take of a kit like that-you give up some comfort for more performance. Has anyone told you the phrase, "You gotta pay to play"?

Learn it, and live by it.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Teching In

thats a good saying, "You gotta pay to play", and yes those are tuned numbers, i figured it would make a little noise but not that much, im kinda used to it now thow. question for ya, did u have to install shims with this clutch and flywheel kit, the ACT HD clutch and Flywheel, ive heard of people installing them saying is brings the engaging point a little highe... just wondering thanks
Old 09-30-2011, 01:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would contact ACT about the shim, unless you took measurements. The fact that you said the pedal varies sounds like a master issue to me and you might consider a Tick adjustable master cylinder to try and solve the problem.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Teching In

well it did vary at times but the past week it had been in the same spot, engaging 1/4 inch or so off the the floor, i thought about buying a tick adj master but, ive been told to buy either the ram( cheaper ) or tick master. fyi i have replaced the master twice now, 1 with oem master cylinder and the second with the $90 parts fron advanced.

i have replaced the slave (twice)
Master cylinder (twice)
Drilll Mod
New Fluid

but it seems i keep having the same problems over and over again. i mean yea the pedal is not sticking to the floor no more, Long Story, but it pisses me off that every time i get something else fixed something else decideds to craw its way out. this is my dd car i don't take it to the strip nothing, just want a good running car that sounds good, 4600( parts/tune/labor roufly) dollers later still doing it .....
Old 09-30-2011, 05:10 PM
FormerVendor

Sorry to hear of your troubles, didn't realize you've already replaced both hydraulic items twice. The Ram master though it's adjustable it can't actuate the slave farther with more fluid like the Tick can. Stupid question, but did you use red loc tite on the pressure plate bolts. I say this because they will back out and cause disengagement issues if you didn't.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Teching In

I myself did not put the clutch/flywheel/ assembly in cause i don't have the tools to do it, and im thinking about going with a less "Harsh: clutch set up like an ls7 or something along those lines, basically something that does not chatter so bad every where i go in town type deal, cause i don't plane on going over to much over 400hp within the next year or so any ideas, or prices on good kits with the adj master cylinder, cause is sounding like everyboddy prefers the adj onces.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:16 AM
FormerVendor

We offer several less aggressive options if you are interested! I would be happy to assist you. These would provide greater capacity and better performance than the LS7 unit. Take a look at the link below and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/2001/Single
Old 10-03-2011, 01:59 PM
FormerVendor

I wouldn't necessarily blame all your clutch problems on the hydraulics, it may in fact be a defective clutch. Our Level 1 would easily get you taken care of at your current power level and has a one year/unlimited mileage warranty with it along with being just as smooth as the LS7 yet being able to hold more power. Mike@WS6 is currently running a sale and can get taken care of or Tick has a package deal of their master cylinder with our clutch if you're wanting the adjustable unit. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Chris, 817-750-2000

Quick Reply: BAD chatter problem ACT HD Clutch