Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Want clutch from ls7

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want clutch from ls7

Last night I blew my stock clutch which has been slipping between 5 and 6k rpms for the last few hundred miles, car has just over 72k on it. Tried to drop it from 2k rpms on street tires on the road and the rpms shot up, the car went nowhere and it smelled like my world was ending. I really want to put the ls7 clutch in it, I've been reading up on my options and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get the kit... This is my dd and someday would like to do the ls6 heads with the ls6 intake so I don't think I should put a stock clutch back in her?? Any help/advice/etc is appreciated. Thanks, John
Old 10-03-2011, 09:29 AM
FormerVendor

I can appreciate the desire to go with an "upgraded" factory option but the LS7 set-up really provides very little benefit over the stock set-up. These parts have a SAC/racheting mechanism that allows for adjustment of the plates depth relative to disc wear. It sounds good but in reality this mechanism can, and frequently does, hang up when used aggressively or when used on cars making greater hp/torque than stock.

You would be better suited with a real performance clutch that provides greater capacity and performance over the stock set-ups. Take a look at the link below and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/1999/Single
Old 10-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Johnny H
Last night I blew my stock clutch which has been slipping between 5 and 6k rpms for the last few hundred miles, car has just over 72k on it. Tried to drop it from 2k rpms on street tires on the road and the rpms shot up, the car went nowhere and it smelled like my world was ending. I really want to put the ls7 clutch in it, I've been reading up on my options and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get the kit... This is my dd and someday would like to do the ls6 heads with the ls6 intake so I don't think I should put a stock clutch back in her?? Any help/advice/etc is appreciated. Thanks, John
We carry the LS7 clutch kit.

http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...oducts_id=5396

While an okay upgrade I do suggest for a slightly better upgrade

http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...ducts_id=12522

Both should be sufficient for DD use and the "occasional" run at the track. If you have further questions, let me know. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Level one as you can read in the description above is superior to the LS7 from disc to pressure plate. Combine it with our 18lb flywheel to free up even more power over the 28lb assembly that is already lighter than the stock LS7. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 10-03-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been doing a ton of reading and searching on this and have decided that a moster stage 1 is perfect for a bolt on only car, it was made to have all of the good points of a LS7 clutch and none of the negavites, now I'm trying to decide between a 18lb or 28lb flywheel.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been using a LS7 clutch for about 4 years and 120,000+ miles. Car is a daily driver making 452/418. I have never had any problems with this clutch. It has never given me a bit of trouble. Great manners and holding power. There are better clutchs out there on the market but for a heads/cam and all the bolt ons car that spends most of its time on the street the LS7 is hard to beat. If you are going to go the the track all the time a aftermarket clutch is a better choice.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Fry_
I've been doing a ton of reading and searching on this and have decided that a moster stage 1 is perfect for a bolt on only car, it was made to have all of the good points of a LS7 clutch and none of the negavites, now I'm trying to decide between a 18lb or 28lb flywheel.
The 18lb has many positives and recommend it with the full face Level 1 clutch disc as it only takes a couple hundred rpms to take off over stock and once you do it a few times it will become 2nd nature. It rev matches easier when rowing through the gears and will allow the car to accelerate quicker as it frees up more power to the rear wheels from less rotational mass.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:28 AM
FormerVendor

I would note, from experience, that Aluminum flywheels are an aquired taste for some people. I personally like them in my vehicle that see track use (road-race), but for a daily driven car, or a car that will see a greater focus on daily driving, steel is a great option. I suggest that you consider the pros and cons of each and go from that point forward.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Banned

If it's just a street car, decide on the regular flywheel. Like SPEC said, the aluminum is an acquired taste and we'll usually suggest it for the guys doing the road racing.

Don't listen to the guy in Post 7
Old 10-04-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm starting to think more and more that I'm going to get the 18lb flywheel I'm already going to have to get used to the feel of a new clutch and master cylender so adding a lighter flywheel wont be that big of a deal. but I still have more research to do before I decide.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BYUNSPEED
Don't listen to the guy in Post 7
Love you too buddy.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:18 PM
FormerVendor

I'm starting to think more and more that I'm going to get the 18lb flywheel I'm already going to have to get used to the feel of a new clutch and master cylender so adding a lighter flywheel wont be that big of a deal. but I still have more research to do before I decide.
You also got to consider the total weight of the clutch, not just the flywheel. Our 18lb is a billet steel not a 13lb aluminum and combined with our pressure plate and disc it weighs in at ~42lbs or 10lbs lighter than stock. Enough to notice a difference, but not needing a retune like an ultra lite 22.5lb twin disc