Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

best auto to manual pilot bearing conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best auto to manual pilot bearing conversion?

hello,

ive got a '77 trans am (yeah i know this is LS1tech but this isn't generation specific anyway), and it currently has a 200-4R transmission. i was thinking about getting a manual transmission (like a T-5), and so since my engine (olds 403) is equipped with an automatic crank i'd need a pilot bearing converter that would fit without removing the crank and machining it.

there are a few out there from mondello, dick miller, and supercarsunlimited, but i was wondering which one is the best, and will they work with a T-5 (or is this even a good idea)?
Old 10-03-2011, 02:53 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you're not 100% sure the crank isn't drilled, I"d use longer bellhousing bolts and unbolt the converter / slide things back enough to check with a hand or a mirror.

Look into the CTS-V / LS7 Corvette pilot that is a larger o.d. and fits where a torque converter normally indexes in the crank. It's probably quite similar to Dom Jello's # PB-460.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by jmd
If you're not 100% sure the crank isn't drilled, I"d use longer bellhousing bolts and unbolt the converter / slide things back enough to check with a hand or a mirror.

Look into the CTS-V / LS7 Corvette pilot that is a larger o.d. and fits where a torque converter normally indexes in the crank. It's probably quite similar to Dom Jello's # PB-460.
the olds 403 never came with a manual and im pretty sure they all have autos, but i cant find anything for that part youre talking about, do you have a link or anything? and what needs to be done to make it fit my olds crank?

thanks
Old 10-04-2011, 09:51 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Google "Mondello PB-460"

Their site gives some dimension information for the PB-455 as 2.00" o.d.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-vs-small.html goes over the big & little bearings albeit verbosely.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Im bout to do the conversion on my 02 are both cranks the same for me? Or do I need a special pilot bearing for an auto crank?
Old 10-05-2011, 02:57 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

All RWD LS_ engine family cranks are drilled for both style pilot bushings/bearings.

Which one you use depends on the input shaft; unless you're using a hybrid trans. (built from a CTS-V or certain Vettes T56), you'd use the smaller one.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by jmd
Google "Mondello PB-460"

Their site gives some dimension information for the PB-455 as 2.00" o.d.
yeah this is the one i was looking at
so im assuming since it was made for olds engines with auto cranks it will fit my crank but will it fit the T5?

Quick Reply: best auto to manual pilot bearing conversion?