Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Different bellhousing depths/options? LS1 DeLorean Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 02:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different bellhousing depths/options? LS1 DeLorean Project

I need to find an LS1 bellhousing that I can mate to a Renault UN1 manual transmission/transaxle. The original Renault bell housing form the DeLorean will not work as the DeLorean flywheel is only 12". At present I plan on using an LS1 bellhousing and making a plate to adapt it to the DeLorean transmission.

The first issue I see unfortunately, is that the DeLorean bellhousing is already pretty shallow. From face to face, today I measured only 4.6", seems pretty shallow. Also if you look at the attached photos, the DeLorean transaxle/differential protrudes into the bellhousing. The bellhousing itself was cast with grooves in it to accommodate this. At the deepest part, I measured 1.125" deep, meaning the adapter plate (at least in that section) will have to be at least 1.375" probably closer to 1.5" thick in order to have similar grooves.

I'm not really familiar with the different bellhousings that will mate with the LS1 but I know that I most certainly need the shallowest one of all. If necessary I am willing to cut a bellhousing and then weld the plate onto the backside. Obviously though if this is the case I want to work with cheep bellhousings, at least in the beginning.

Can anyone help me with my options?

Whats the story on this guy? $82 shipped to autozone?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...9552_310544_0_

Thanks in advance. Pics for reference.
Attached Thumbnails Different bellhousing depths/options? LS1 DeLorean Project-dsc_0197-1600x1200-.jpg   Different bellhousing depths/options? LS1 DeLorean Project-dsc_0203-1600x1200-.jpg   Different bellhousing depths/options? LS1 DeLorean Project-dsc_0204-1600x1200-.jpg   Different bellhousing depths/options? LS1 DeLorean Project-dsc_0205-1600x1200-.jpg   Different bellhousing depths/options? LS1 DeLorean Project-dsc_0206-1600x1200-.jpg  

Old 10-05-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

What are your constraints? Do you have to use the Renault transaxle? You could look into a 97+ Corvette trans/rear (manual or auto) or an older TH425 from the Toronado, Eldorado, or a TH325 from the Seville, Riviera, Eldorado, Toronado.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Also, with your idea above, what flywheel did you want to use LS or Renault?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Unfortunately because how the DeLorean transmission and engine are completely flipped around, if I use any "normal" transmission I'll have 5 speeds in reverse, haha! There have been people that have utilized Porsche transmissions but as part of this project, its relatively important that I use the original DeLorean transmission.

I want to use the LS1 flywheel if I can. The DeLorean flywheel is only 12" so I'm not sure how the starter would interact with the flywheel. Plus I'm worried that an original DeLorean clutch setup would slip with all the power of the LS1.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:46 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Looking at all those pictures, I'd start looking into the transaxles guys use when building sand rails. Or a Porsche unit. Either has already been done with an LS_ engine.

You can accomplish darn near anything if you know what you're doing as far as spacing it farther or closer to accomplish fitment, but the input on that trans. is useless based on length, as is the bellhousing so you're essentially starting from scratch and will have to fab everything ahead of the front plate/bellhousing oval housing area. If you sawed the housing part off that and TIG'd an LS_ bell onto it, the input would need to be custom.

I'd slow way down with the "relatively important" BS and start to figure out on a spreadsheet what all the custom fab and parts to keep the Renault box will cost you (and still have a weak trans.) vs. just going with the tried and true options that are out there. You might be surprised how much sense a different box might make.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your best bet is to use a UN1 to LS1 adapter.
Spend sometime on the forum below and see if you can find what you are looking for. There is alot of information on tranasaxles and adapters
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech...in-transaxles/
Old 10-06-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with jmd. Don't be so set on keeping that trans, have you looked into whether it can even handle the torque?
Old 10-07-2011, 01:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Factory Five uses a Porsche transaxle flipped upside down to give it 5 forward gears in their LSx equipped GTM kit cars.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

A Delorean is actually a rear engine car like the Porsche 911. So he would simply need a standard 930T or G50 transaxle with custom axles (driveshaft shop). I remember his post and him being a college student.

Sounds like you will be putting your engineering skills to use to retain the wimpy Renault transaxle with an adapter plate. The 2JZ you referred to in another post making 400hp may have worked with the stock Renault box... but an LS1 has a lot more torque and torque breaks parts.

I was offered my uncles 3800 mile Delorean that had sat since 1986 and didn't run. I thought about an LSx swap and after looking at the transmission options (Porsche $$$$) I simply helped my family sell it.

You can get it work with the stock Renault box.... but you will be on borrowed time if you actually drive it hard.

Quick Reply: Different bellhousing depths/options? LS1 DeLorean Project