Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch pedal not firming up during bleeding...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal not firming up during bleeding...?

2000 Camaro SS

Perfection - (replaced flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate)

Advanced Auto - (slave cylinder, master cylinder) I get 20% off family discount.

So here's our problem...

Everything is back together and we are putting on the master cylinder. First off, it's a son of a gun to wrestle into the car. So we got it in with a little bit of roughness.. We are bleeding it with the proper procedure. However, we are not getting any firmness in the clutch pedal. It doesn't spring back at you at all.

We think we possibly damaged the master wrestling into the car. Would an internal part in the master cylinder be to blame for this not working correctly?

Any help you be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:21 AM
Teching In

Possible yes but I highly doubt it. You probably still have air in the lines. I hope you got yourself a speed bleeder so you can vacuum bleed it. If not then stick to the old fashion method and pack a lunch cuz it might take a while.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

It is possible that the master was damaged but I wouldn't assume the worst yet. As mentioned by bigred, get a mighty-vac and bleed the system this way (from the bleeder off the slave and from the reservoir) and see if you notice an improvement. Let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to help. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Launching!

I am having the same problem. I have just replaced the clutch about 6 months ago and about a month after that my clutch pedal went to the floor and would not let me shift. So I pulled the tranny and put a new slave on and also a new master. Still hardly any pedal. We have done the standard procedure. Pump, pump, pump, hold down the clutch. Then crack the bleeder valve to hopefully push the air out. Then close the bleeder and repeat. We also tried just pumping the clutch pedal over 3,000 times top try to compress what air is in there to get a pedal but still no luck. Then we tried removing the disconnect and pressing a screwdriver into it while someone held down the pedal to tried to run the air out of the line. Nothing has really worked. The pedal does not stick to the floor and does come back almost to the break pedal, however it doesn't allow you to shift the car.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Definitely takes a while. I had to pump the pedal both by hand about 10 or 15 times then momentarily crack the blessed while holding pedal down. Just a quick open and close. I'd lose pressure in pedal and do it again. I had to do it about ten time like this and each time I cracked the bleed valve I'd lose pressure. However once I felt comfortable that I got all the air out, I still had to pump the pedal about 25 times to get pressure built up. Top off my fluids and done. BTW: I drilled a two inch hole in the floor pan and was Able to bleed by myself. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Posted this on another thread aswell....

Take the line from the master to the slave loose and bleed the master.
Same procedure as with the slave and valve, but just use your finger over the end. Then plug it back into the slave and bleed
Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 AM
FormerVendor

Mighty-Vac FTW...give it a try.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal not firming up during bleeding...?