Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

C5 Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Driveshaft

Hoping some of the experts might be able to give me some advise on lengthning a C5 drive shaft, I am working on a 57 Chevy with complete C5 drivetrain, Torque tube has allready been lenghtened & drive shaft has to be lenghtened 7 1/4", I have checked into having a 3" aluminum shaft made but I am looking at probably $900.00 for the shaft, I have machine shop equipment & tig so making the hub on front & rear of shaft & tig welding either a molly or steel shaft to it is no problem, I would need to find someone to balance when completed but hopefully that would not be a problem ? Is there anyone who thinks there would be a problem running the steel shaft versus the aluminum other than some extra weight, I seen a person here shortened one & made it out of molly so Im wondering why I could not make one for my application ?? I just dont understand all the hipe as far as the aluminum shaft versus the steel, They have been running steel in normal cars & mega HP race cars for ever so other than weight which I do not care about is there any other reason it would not work ??
Thanks Perk
Old 10-16-2011, 05:35 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

No reason you couldn't, but is your time put into fabbing steel yokes etc., really going to save you $ vs. finding a good driveline shoppe who will work with your old shaft and just re-tube & balance it?

Seems like getting that done plus going with new bearings and couplers should get you done for under $900.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would not need anything but tube & ends to bolt new yoke assemblies to it which came with car, I might have $100.00 in material & whatever it cost to balance, Thats a far cry from $900, When you lengthen a C5 shaft the diameter has to be larger to compensate,A billet shaft would be nice I guess but if I can do it in steel & save $600 to $700 that would go a long way some where else. I checked 4 shops & they will not touch the C5 shaft let alone lengthen it, As said it has to be made bigger in aluminum to compensate !
Perk