Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 T56 breaking clutch forks.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default LT1 T56 breaking clutch forks.

I was on my second clutch fork, it lasted me about 1 month of hard driving.

If I rest my foot on the clutch pedal lightly it would vibrate like something is out of balance and wobbling, on my fist fork it never vibrated which leads me to believe they damaged my throwout bearing somehow. My first clutch fork looked like someone took a grinder to it, but they were not fresh marks. The grind marks were dirty and stained with dust and grit which lead me to believe it did not happen internally. They also looked like just that, clean smooth grind marks no gouging or anything.

Now that I have snapped my second fork I’m not too sure. It has a twin disk something or other capable of holding at least 500hp. It chattered really bad if you did not let it out just right and it took me a while to get the hang of it.

Will a stronger clutch simply break forks because of the force applied? Is there any kind aftermarket clutch I could get that will hold up to the abuse?

Anyone have any suggestions or info it would be much appreciated!!!
Thanks!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Max78
I was on my second clutch fork, it lasted me about 1 month of hard driving.

If I rest my foot on the clutch pedal lightly it would vibrate like something is out of balance and wobbling, on my fist fork it never vibrated which leads me to believe they damaged my throwout bearing somehow. My first clutch fork looked like someone took a grinder to it, but they were not fresh marks. The grind marks were dirty and stained with dust and grit which lead me to believe it did not happen internally. They also looked like just that, clean smooth grind marks no gouging or anything.

Now that I have snapped my second fork I’m not too sure. It has a twin disk something or other capable of holding at least 500hp. It chattered really bad if you did not let it out just right and it took me a while to get the hang of it.

Will a stronger clutch simply break forks because of the force applied? Is there any kind aftermarket clutch I could get that will hold up to the abuse?

Anyone have any suggestions or info it would be much appreciated!!!
Thanks!
I've never heard of this happening, so I may be on the wrong track. But your pressure plate or flywheel may be out of balance (or not evenly torqued) causing it to wobble, ruining the clutch fork.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree if your pressure plate is slightly bent or distorted could be putting an unusual anount of force used on your fork.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:01 AM
FormerVendor

I assume that your current clutch set-up maintained the pull-type design of the original parts. Is this correct? When you removed the fork previously did you notice any evidence of the fork contacting the pressure-plate? If it were binding on the plate it could easily be ground down and weakened as a result. Take a look at the cover and let us know if there are any witness marks from the fork. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:06 PM

i have a recent problem with my t56 recently my 2nd gear is grinding im aware thats more than likely a syncro but now when i let my clutch out when taking off it makes a bad grinding sound but as soon as the clutch is all the way out its fine even under wot...if i easy the clutch out with almost no gas it doesnt do it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 T56 breaking clutch forks.