Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need help diagnosing a slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help diagnosing a slave cylinder

I have a t56 in a 01 ss with stock clutch, slave, and master cylinder. Have 69k on the odometer, was driving on the highway at approx 65 mph in 6th gear and dropped the clutch to 3rd planning to go WOT. As soon as I released the clutch iIheard and felt a pop and my rpms spiked to 5k+. None of my gears were going in and there was a constant scrapping/ rattling noise coming from my tranny. I immediately thought " burned out my clutch". From a dead stop the car goes into all gears and will moving under a very very light load.

I removed my transmission to inspect the damage. To my surprise I realized the clutch still had meat on it. Flywheel looked almost new and nothing appeared to be out of the ordinary. There was indeed signs that the slave cylinder had been leaking, and my clutch fluid was low. I ordered a spec stage 3 clutch kit and had the flywheel professionally resurfaced. The kit comes with a throw out bearing, I don't know if the slave is still good and I need advise to how to test it. I want to know if i could just replace the bearing and keep the slave.Any advise would be helpful and greatly appreciated. thank you!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the seal in the slave cylinder was leaking, I'd definitely replace it as it'll ruin a new clutch.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you not replace it? If it's got more than 20k on it and you've got the trans down, replace it IMO.