Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

opinion on used ls1/clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinion on used ls1/clutch issues

Guys I am looking to buy a 6spd LS1 (previously owned an auto 02 formula). I found what looks to be a good deal on a used 99 Z28. The buyer is stating the slave master cylinder needs replacement. I am wondering if his diagnosis sounds right to you guys and also the cost of replacing the slave master. I am thinking the tranny needs to be dropped for this, so maybe I should just do a new clutch at the same time. What would you think a fair labor + parts total would be for a new clutch, master slave, etc. What should I buy for a replacement clutch to handle ~500hp? I want something with good drive ability but will be able to handle some power. Price is somewhat of a concern. Maybe a LS7 clutch?

"1999 Z28 Camaro with ttops 6speed and an all aluminum LS1 V8 with some suspension upgrades, stainless steel Magnaflow dual exhaust and ram air upgrade. Needs a hydraulic slave master cylinder installed, the master cylinder slave plunger seals wear out in any manual vehicle eventually. The Master cylinder slave costs $120. This car is a sleeper project car for someone who wants to get there hands on one that hasn't been beat or trashed . Doors are tight no leaks anywhere interior or engine related components. Runs good, smells good, looks good, get lots of compliments. Silver paint with a black top and mirrors some paint damage front bumper. Plenty of power, excellent rubber and brakes, registered thru may 2012 Oregon. It drives but the clutch pedal gets sticky and reverse is a bit tricky cause of the worn master cylinder slave needing replacement."
Old 10-24-2011, 09:25 AM
FormerVendor

It's hard to know if the car needs these parts (or what else it might need). The described symptoms may indicate the need for a simple flush and refill of the hydraulic system (air in the system can cause a pedal to stick and make gear selection tricky). Of course knowing if there is any evidence of a leak from the slave or master would help with further diagnosis.

When it comes to replacing the clutch this may or may not need to be done but it iw certainly something that you can check if your pull the transmission (assuming that you buy the car). If you do need one let me know and I will be happy to assist you. You can check the link below for details on our single-disc offerings and let me know if you hyave any questions.

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/1999/Single
Old 10-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the owner states there have been issues, I would always replace everything clutch related, that is the Clutch master, Slave, and Clutch assembly.

As for the trans it self, you could take it to a good shop for tear down and inspection. I would certainly offer a price in line with that. I would not pay for a questionable assembly. To be honest, to drive the car would be the best way to ensure its a good unit.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:39 PM
FormerVendor

If you need to replace the slave and are looking to make more power, then I'd definitely consider replacing the clutch while in there. Our Level 1 Monster will handle 450rwhp no problem, drive like stock and is better than the LS7 on all levels. You could combine it with a 18lb flywheel to free up some power to the wheels and allow the engine to rev/accelerate quicker. Our premium kit comes with a new slave and everything else you need to get the job done. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 10-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
If you need to replace the slave and are looking to make more power, then I'd definitely consider replacing the clutch while in there. Our Level 1 Monster will handle 450rwhp no problem, drive like stock and is better than the LS7 on all levels. You could combine it with a 18lb flywheel to free up some power to the wheels and allow the engine to rev/accelerate quicker. Our premium kit comes with a new slave and everything else you need to get the job done. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Chris, 817-750-2000

I was thinking of getting this package with a stage 2 clutch and billet flywheel.

How much is typical labor to pull the tranny and replace the clutch, master, and slave? I am a complete noob when it comes to manual transmission work. I took the 4l60e out of my old formula multiple times.

http://www.tickperformance.com/ls1-f...-swap-package/
Old 10-28-2011, 10:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by motogplvr
I was thinking of getting this package with a stage 2 clutch and billet flywheel.

How much is typical labor to pull the tranny and replace the clutch, master, and slave? I am a complete noob when it comes to manual transmission work. I took the 4l60e out of my old formula multiple times.

http://www.tickperformance.com/ls1-f...-swap-package/
That package is a great value for sure, you'll love it!

Our labor to swap the clutch in your car would be $320, just for reference.

Quick Reply: opinion on used ls1/clutch issues