Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Manual Tips and Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Tips and Tricks

To the drivers who have a lot of time behind the wheel, what are some of the most useful tricks you've figured out with driving manuals? And what would be the biggest tips you'd give to newer drivers of them?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Know your car. Find the "point of engagement" and know how the clutch reacts at different RPMs and how fast/slow to release the pedal and accelerate at different situations. The most difficult for me, and i think most drivers is taking off from a dead stop going uphill.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:47 AM
Staging Lane

^good info.

the way i was taught to do it was keep your foot on the brake, let out on the clutch until the rpm's start to drop, then give it a little gas as you continue letting out.

another thing i keep telling my wife (when she's driving my car) is once the clutch starts to engage give it some gas and let all the way out on the clutch. she likes to let out on the clutch slow after it engages for a smooth rookie shift. it just can't be good to "ride it" like that.

as for launching in a race, i find a good rpm and dump. i'm sure others have different ways of going about it.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Russell PTA
^good info.

the way i was taught to do it was keep your foot on the brake, let out on the clutch until the rpm's start to drop, then give it a little gas as you continue letting out.

another thing i keep telling my wife (when she's driving my car) is once the clutch starts to engage give it some gas and let all the way out on the clutch. she likes to let out on the clutch slow after it engages for a smooth rookie shift. it just can't be good to "ride it" like that.

as for launching in a race, i find a good rpm and dump. i'm sure others have different ways of going about it.
It's likely arguable which method puts less stress/wear on the clutch, but this method will give you a good feel for the clutch. Plus this is the best method (IMO) for starting out in the snow...nice and easy.

Some clutches are much more forgiving of a rookie driver than others. My SS is about in the middle in that regard. My wife's old '89 Grand Am was very forgiving.

Either way, you are bound to put a lot of stress/wear on your clutch as you learn to drive it. It's all part of the process.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

always makes sure the ASR is off before attempting to do a brake stand
google heel toe if you don't know the technique already, our pedals are close enough that I actually use my big toe and pinky toe to operate the brake and gas when heel toeing.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
always makes sure the ASR is off before attempting to do a brake stand
google heel toe if you don't know the technique already, our pedals are close enough that I actually use my big toe and pinky toe to operate the brake and gas when heel toeing.
Size 13s make it pretty easy. But Florida, being flat, has few places good for it.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
Our pedals are close enough that I actually use my big toe and pinky toe to operate the brake and gas when heel toeing.
Is limbo in Alabama? If so, that explains the barefoot heel-toeing.

Quick Reply: Manual Tips and Tricks