Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Faceplating Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faceplating Questions

I got a 95 nissan 240sx with LS1/t56, makes 500rwtq, having issues with shifting at 6k rpm with is annoying because the rev limiter is set to 7200, not shifting smoothly has caused some issues inside the tranny so I'm fixing to send it for a rebuild. I've tried searching for this answer but I can only find info on costs of faceplating and what it does. I was interested in the faceplating but it says not for street use which I do a lot of. So my question is because faceplating opens up the time for gear engagement the reason that street use is not recommended is that slow shifts causes the faceplates to bang around more, and if I were to daily drive a faceplated tranny I would have to shift as quickly as I can everytime I shift so that the faceplates aren't banged around. Is this correct or are there other reasons why it isn't recommended to daily drive a faceplated tranny.

If faceplating isn't possible for street use then what else would help high rev shifts, I'm using a walbro 3/4" bore master cylinder and a spec stage 3+ clutch, and a pro 5.0 shifter
Old 10-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Banned

Face plating isn't recommended for street use because it doesn't have syncronizers to help slow the gear down for a down shift. Some will say its awesome on the street and it is for up shifting. Trying to drive it in traffic or in city type situations is going to be challenging where a lot of down shifting occurs.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

ok, that clears up things, didn't think about downshifts.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Challenging does not mean don't do it. A syncroed trans. will always be issues at higher rpms, BUT faceplated or not the clutch MUST disengage.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Clutch diengages fine, I can shift into gear at a complete stop into any gear with no grinding and little effort, shifting into second at high rpms haven't had any problem, but grinds in third horribly and sometimes it pops out, and goes into fourth smooth but it gets stuck in fourth, those are my tranny issues now, so it needs a rebuild, I did all my measuring and shiming for the clutch so i know it diengages completely.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do some facplate searching and you will find some youtube stuff as far as shifting.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know Liberty Transmissions does face platting does anyone else do it?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

tick performance
Old 10-31-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nissan LS240
tick performance
yeah, i called them and they wont touch one unless your doing a complete rebuild, mines already built and they wont have nothing to do with it , sucks because they are only a few hours from me.........**** Em, ill send it off to Liberty, im sure theyll take my business
Old 10-31-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Liberty is the only one that I know of that actually does the modifying of the gears. You can remove your gears and send it directly to them if you want. I took my faceplated T56 on drag week this year, and I've gotta say it was getting old towards the end. If you don't drive a ton on the street then I think you'll be ok. As for downshifting... I don't really do it unless I absolutely have to. I just lug it out in 5th when I can.
edit: you can double clutch and the lugs won't bang on easy upshifts.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I've got about 20k on mine now. 8k+ just from DD it from Feb. to now. I screwed up a key in 5th gear so I'm taking it out and disassembling all the way for inspection. I'll take some pics to show my overall wear. Personally, I like it.It did take some getting used to though. I hope to have it apart within the next 3 weeks. BTW, I only use the clutch to take off now that I've got the feel for it, I can rev match the gear shifts real good.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

To faceplate or not to faceplate, ya'll are making this decision difficult, I might just try a rebuild without faceplating and if it screws up again I'll just stick a 4l80 and get done with it.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1nastyss
yeah, i called them and they wont touch one unless your doing a complete rebuild, mines already built and they wont have nothing to do with it , sucks because they are only a few hours from me.........**** Em, ill send it off to Liberty, im sure theyll take my business
Yes, **** us because we tried to save you money.

By all means, if you'd like to bring us your transmission so that we can charge you extra for taking it apart and sending your gears off to Liberty's rather than sending the transmission directly to them, we'll be glad to "take your business."

We offer Faceplating as a service during a full rebuild only because it would be dumb for you to pay us to do the same thing you could do through Liberty's directly (for less money) if you're not needing a rebuild at the same time.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by Nissan LS240
To faceplate or not to faceplate, ya'll are making this decision difficult, I might just try a rebuild without faceplating and if it screws up again I'll just stick a 4l80 and get done with it.
I drove my LS6 powered RX7 all over the place with the faceplated transmission. You should read the complete thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ertys-t56.html

After some practice it is super easy to drive the smoothly. I don't really downshift much since a V8 RX7 will go in just about any gear. When coming to a stop or a red light, I would just keep it in gear until the RPM got below 1000, then pop it in neutral. Once the car is stopped, pop it in 1st, and off you go. If there was a serious need to downshift, like when coming to a turn without having to stop, then just a quick blip of the throttle and a quick downshift. No big deal. Here is a video I made years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArInujbVYU8

Eventually I got much smoother and it didn't make much noise at all.

Do it.

Andrew
Old 01-12-2012, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm wondering if they use "not for street use" as a disclaimer for people that cant drive without synchros?

I'm having a hard time deciding if that is the case, or the constant "clashing" of teeth will eventully destroy them.

I say this because in my mind, it cant be any different than driving a tractor trailer, either double clutch or float em. obviously, double clutching is harder on the drive train from disengaging and engaging the clutch (it is in a semi anyways because of the weight).

Now I have had my class A CDL for about a year now and floating the gears is second nature to me, I even find myself doing it in my everyday car with synchros. So being that I know full well how to drive a vehicle without synchros and twice as many gears, would this be any different? or is there something else that makes them prone to damage during street use besides inexperienced shifting?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im still not sure if I should faceplate. one day I think it will be fine, another day I don't.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Once you get used to it, no big deal. The biggest thing is you wont be jackin with the radio or doing anything else distracting while you're going through the gears. You have to pay attention.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya. Looks like I'll be fine. sending mine to RPM.

Can't wait to row some gears

Quick Reply: Faceplating Questions