Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

aluminum flywheel ?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aluminum flywheel ?

im in the middle of picking out my new clutch. and I was wondering if an aluminum flywheel will b a bad or good idea since I plan on running a 100 shot on it?
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used aluminum flywheels before and they make a noticable difference in the way the engine revs. Depending on the weight of the car, gear ratio and modification to the engine, some people have problems bogging and looking like rookies driving stick. It also has to do with the aggressiveness of the clutch.

If you're not making that much power and want to drag race, I suggest you stay with the steel flywheel. It'll help with the launches. If you're making some pretty decent power, a aluminum flywheel will be useful.

Just my .02
Old 11-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Teching In

yea I no about the problems with driving with a light weight flywheel cuz one of my friends has one and it was tricky but it seemed 2 me 2 help with a roll with is what I want. I got 3.73 now so that will help some
Old 11-07-2011, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

^ english?
Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Teching In

**** sorry. im using my phone 2 type and working on a friends car. but basicly im trying 2 help my car get going faster from a roll. witch is why i was looking into aluminum flywheels. but since the nitrous kit is goin on now along with the 3.73 i was afraid of over reving the motor or some other horror. i have driven cars with one b4. so i no how much of a pain they can be. but i did like the quicker revs i was getting outta it. so basicly i was wondering if an aluminum flywheel would help or hurt me from a roll and go. does that make sence 2 u guys?
Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Take into consideration the weight of the whole assembly to get your final numbers.
Personally, a lighter weight wheel than the OE offering is a good thing since OE is always a comprise.
I'm going with a 14 pound steel wheel with a McLeod twin disk setup.
The wheel is super light and stronger than aluminum.
The McLeod twin disk unit is heavier than the factory unit but the overall is much lighter and the centrifugal mass diameter of the assembly is smaller which I feel is always a good thing.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Teching In

honestly ive never thought about that. thanks im gunna start looking more in depth on light weight steel flywheels then.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i went with the monster lvl 3 with 18 billet steel wheel and it works great, you dont want to go to light because your will suffer on your launches and may suffer street drivability as well. your not going to see crazy gains from a lighter flywheel either, the hype came from them getting out on 4 bangers so that they can put extra hp down on a dyno thats about it. you need some centrifical weight to make sure the car gets moving.

i would go with a medium weight and not the super lightest I can find
Old 11-08-2011, 01:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our lightweight setups weigh ~42lbstotal, so there's enough of a difference to notice it yet it will not be difficult to DD. With that being said, the lighter flywheel will help you accelerate from a roll as the engine has less mass to turn. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Chris, 817-750-2000

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: aluminum flywheel ?