Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Installing a pilot bearing with a drill, an axe, and a 2x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Installing a pilot bearing with a drill, an axe, and a 2x4

It's actually not as bad as you think. After hunting hi and low for a decent pictorial on the subject, I didn't find much. If you're good with listed instructions, the sticky thread in this section can't be beat. There is also a great writeup at Install University.

But, what if you're like me, and could benefit from pictures? What if you're a cheap *** (like me)? Then read on. The whole process, from beginning to end, should be about 5 minutes, provided your car is already on stands AND you have the aforementioned high-tech equipment ready.

1. After reading the sticky, and the IU piece, I figured I'd use a 21 MM socket and hammer to gentle tap my bearing into place. On paper, it looks good...

2. ...but in execution, I wasn't so convinced. One mis-swing with the hammer, and things would get red quick. It then becomes what my wife calls "date night" -- where we get to exchange terms of endearment at the Emergency Room.

3. So, out come the toys. The engine came from an automatic car, so the area where the pilot bearing goes needed a little cleaning up.The drill was used to wire-brush the area. After brushing, I smeared a very light coat of grease. Don't overdo it. A small dab that fit on the tip of my index finger was enough to do this job.

4. The axe was used to whittle down the 2x4 so that it was smaller in diameter than the flywheel flange on the crank, but bigger than the bearing. With a 8" or longer chunk of 2x4, you've got a comfortable "margin of error" for swinging the axe. I used the flat, hammer side of the axe to tap the bearing into place. Four hard taps, and done.

5. Got er did! The finished product. Next, when time permits, I will mate up a Spec Stage 2+ clutch to my ACT flywheel.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet im about to have to put one in a motor I got from an automatic car as well and the pics (although pretty straight forward) reassured me it was gonna be easy haha.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

did this tonight. i used a half inch extension with a 1/2in to 3/8 socket adapter. adapter fit into the bearing perfectly and pretty much fit the cone. many ways to get it done! installed into a 5.3 crank but it wouldnt go flush.. 1/8th of an inch sticking out. wondering if the 5.3 crank is different then ls1 because i felt a small lip in there. removed my first pilot bearing because it didnt go all the way in.. lol. guess that the way its gonna be.

i should note i have a large mother bottle of nitrous that is no longer needed to me since im going turbo and removed my nitrous kit... so i froze my bushing with the nitrous... lol went in nice in easy and didnt have to pound on the crank thrust bearing
Old 12-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up Bushing

OOOHHH
the ole nitros trick.
I like
Old 12-28-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

yep i freeze mine with dry ice and they go right in.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After reading the subject line, my initial reply was going to be "step away from the tools NOW". After reading the opening post, it appears you know what you are doing. Good work.

Quick Reply: Installing a pilot bearing with a drill, an axe, and a 2x4