Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

need info on a six speed swap

Old 11-09-2011, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need info on a six speed swap

Hey guys so I have a 2000 trans am ws6 and its a a4. I'm thinking of doing a six speed swap and I need to know how hard it is to do and how much it will cost me. The car has 94000 on it. The things I'm wondering about is will my rear end be ok with this or do I have to go up to a 12 bolt. The mods are on the car are lts,ory,lid and exhaust that's it. Any info I would appericate it. Thanks guys
Old 11-09-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As you might imagine, this topic has been discussed to death and is why there are sticky posts at the top of the forum. Look through the A4 to M6 conversion sticky and ask any specific questions that aren't answered there.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The STICKIES, use them!!!

Old 11-10-2011, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

theres no more need to upgrade to a 12 bolt/ 9 inch than there is with any other six speed car. Your 10 may last another 94k, or it may blow up on your initial test drive. Manuals have the capability to be rougher on rear end depending on how hard you are driving it. try it and see.

The swap isn't hard, realistically the sticky does in this case have ALL the info you need. read through all 30ish pages, it goes into detail on every step, including re-wiring. i took my time and had a daily driver, so i just collected parts then put them on and it took me about two months. If i had all the parts in front of me i could get it done in a weekend now that I've done it.

Cost ranges. used parts is gonna be somewhere around $2k. my suggestion is at least get a new clutch and and tick master if you want to get the rest of the parts used.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah search man. google ls1tech manual trans swap. Theres tons of info out there. Im currently getting the parts together to do the swap. Seems like this is the hardest part of the whole thing.

clutch, pp, flywheel, trans itself, slave and master cyl, all the bolts for that stuff. pedals with switches, m6 crossmember, m6 engine harness if you want to, shifter and ****, the m6 upper center console with boot, ashtray etc.

Search this Thread