Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is there Aany clutch that will SHIFT PASSED 7000 RPM'S

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is there Aany clutch that will SHIFT PASSED 7000 RPM'S

Okay did some testing sunday and came home with a fail. I want to hear from the mods them selfs. you all say your clutch's shift at high rpms. show me a setup that does just this. i have been shifting my car at 7400 to 7500 now ( well okay trying to shift it there) but no clutch is allowing me to do so. So please step in and showme how its done and the parts its done with.

Rob
Old 11-09-2011, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

What is you setup hydraulic wise?
Old 11-09-2011, 12:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What exactly is the problem? Is the clutch sticking to the floor or is it just blocking you out of the next gear? Single cone blocking rings in the f-body T56s don't tend to like 7k+ shifts too much unless they are pretty fresh. It might not be as much of a clutch problem as you think. Also is your pilot bearing fresh and working smoothly?
Old 11-09-2011, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kmspruill242
What is you setup hydraulic wise?
setup is tick master mod gm slave and the clutch that is in there now is tex oz700z anything past 7000 rpm i cant sift gear to ger 7000 rpm and lower shifts like nothing. also tryed monster clutch same problem.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
What exactly is the problem? Is the clutch sticking to the floor or is it just blocking you out of the next gear? Single cone blocking rings in the f-body T56s don't tend to like 7k+ shifts too much unless they are pretty fresh. It might not be as much of a clutch problem as you think. Also is your pilot bearing fresh and working smoothly?
trans is fresh every year. and thought that was the problem so i pulled the trans and installed new hardware. still same problem but i was looking to go faceplated anyways. need to setup a parts list.

and no the clutch is not sticking to the floor.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:03 PM
FormerVendor

Gotcha. If the trans is fresh it should shift that high no problem.

Have you measured your air gap and does the disk fit fairly tight on the splines so it cant flutter and drag the pressure plate and flywheel?

Also are you running a pilot bearing or bushing?

I ran a SPEC4 in my old SS and shifted it as high as 7500rpm with no issues. I added a .040 shim behind the flywheel to move the pressure plate closer to the slave. This helped to widen my air gap when the clutch was pressed. The regular slave shims out there were too thick for my car and the pressure plate fingers drug the bearing badly.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Gotcha. If the trans is fresh it should shift that high no problem.

Have you measured your air gap and does the disk fit fairly tight on the splines so it cant flutter and drag the pressure plate and flywheel?

I ran a SPEC4 in my old SS and shifted it as high as 7500rpm with no issues. I added a .040 shim behind the flywheel to move the pressure plate closer to the slave. This helped to widen my air gap when the clutch was pressed. The regular slave shims out there were too thick for my car and the pressure plate fingers drug the bearing badly.
that was the same problem i was having so i pulled the shim and no longer run the shim. I am getting the bell with the window so i can check the air gap with the tans in because it really seems to change once the bearing and trans is bolted up. what the best way you found to check the air gap?

Rob
Old 11-09-2011, 02:23 PM
FormerVendor

Unfortunitely the window in the Quicktime bells aren't big enough to measure air gap through. The best way I have found to measure air gap is to cut the bottom of a stock bellhousing off and bolt everything up. I measured the Quicktime bellhousing down to the thousandth of an inch and shimmed the stock bellhousing accordingly then measured the air gap.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:52 PM
FormerVendor

The Stage 4 would be a great option due to the reduced rotational mass of the disc. We also build this unit in a 4-puck version which reduces weight further. Proper spacing is imperative so as a result it is best to check measurements, we provide a measurement sheet with our kits. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
The Stage 4 would be a great option due to the reduced rotational mass of the disc. We also build this unit in a 4-puck version which reduces weight further. Proper spacing is imperative so as a result it is best to check measurements, we provide a measurement sheet with our kits. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
please post the measurement sheet up. i have a complet spec 3 clutch from when my car was cam only whats the diff in the 3 to the 4. i checked your wed site and not much info. please post more info and how the spec 4 works thanks

Rob
Old 11-09-2011, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

Unfortunitely the window in the Quicktime bells aren't big enough to measure air gap through. The best way I have found to measure air gap is to cut the bottom of a stock bellhousing off and bolt everything up. I measured the Quicktime bellhousing down to the thousandth of an inch and shimmed the stock bellhousing accordingly then measured the air gap.
thats what i thought. thanks for all the great info as well jeremy

Rob
Old 11-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Just wondering what the significance of this is. Is one better than the other?
Old 11-09-2011, 03:45 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 98blueSScamaro
thats what i thought. thanks for all the great info as well jeremy

Rob
No problem Rob. Good luck with getting it all figured out.

Originally Posted by mx5.3
Just wondering what the significance of this is. Is one better than the other?
T56 transmissions HATE pilot bushings. The bushing drags on the input shaft transfering power through the transmission even with the clutch disengauged. This causes the trans to act like the clutch isn't working properly. The pilot bearing is the only way to go on the T56 transmissions. Unfortunitely people have had the bearings fail in the past and automatically think they are a poor design and revert back to the bushing. This is a very bad idea. A fresh pilot bearing along with a good air gap in the clutch is the best way to insure a good power cut between the engine and transmission for smooth shifting.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:51 PM
FormerVendor

The Stage 3 uses a sprung-hub disc and the 4 uses a rigid hub. They are both normally a 6-puck design but both can be bought with a 4-puck set-up too. These units actually work the same way but the 4 is lighter because it doesn't have springs.

I don't have a postable version of this. I can email it to you which would be quicker, if you like. Let me know. Thanks,
Old 11-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Banned

Two words......... face plate!

It's going to be damn hard to get a syncronized T56 to shift that high even with a triple/double syncro design like the GTO/Vette uses.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
The Stage 3 uses a sprung-hub disc and the 4 uses a rigid hub. They are both normally a 6-puck design but both can be bought with a 4-puck set-up too. These units actually work the same way but the 4 is lighter because it doesn't have springs.

I don't have a postable version of this. I can email it to you which would be quicker, if you like. Let me know. Thanks,
Hook me up with the parts i need to run this clutch then. trying to breakthe f body m6 rec i have the power to do it just need the drive line now and right clutch.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by thesource
Two words......... face plate!

It's going to be damn hard to get a syncronized T56 to shift that high even with a triple/double syncro design like the GTO/Vette uses.
Do you know someone who will can sell me the part's lol
Old 11-09-2011, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I have a clutch set-up you could shift @ 10000 rpm if you wanted. pm if you wanna know more.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Hook me up with the parts i need to run this clutch then. trying to breakthe f body m6 rec i have the power to do it just need the drive line now and right clutch.
Whats your new setup? Isnt the record in the 8s? But faceplating is the only way to go for what you want to do and stop messing with those syncros.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Banned

Do you know someone who will can sell me the part's lol
Everyone, all the sponsors on here and builders like me all use the same place for face plating services and that is Liberty Gear in Michigan.

Quick Reply: Is there Aany clutch that will SHIFT PASSED 7000 RPM'S