Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Will a triple disc clutch require more frequent shimming than a dual disc clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will a triple disc clutch require more frequent shimming than a dual disc clutch?

Will a triple disc clutch require more frequent shimming than a dual disc clutch? I've read that this is the case, but this seems contrary to logic. At a given torque rating: a triple will usually have a lighter clamp load, and a greater surface area. Shouldn't this make it last longer not shorter?

When comparing the difference between the stock/fresh build stack height:to the minimum stack height (time to rebuild/shim) between triple and double disc clutches, I've noticed that the diference is the same (say ~.060"). Of course this means that the individual wear discs on a triple can only wear ~.020" while a dual disc can each wear ~.030". The TOTAL wear height though is still the same.

I'd like to go from a double to a triple just to get some extra thermal mass (I don't need the extra torque capacity). But I don't think I'm willing to have to rebuild/shim more often, if that's the case with the triple.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:53 AM
FormerVendor

I think its best to start with everyone on the same page. There are different types of "shim" that can be added to or removed from a clutch assembly. Some companies use shims to reduce clamp-load and allow for some initial slip as the clutch begins to engage. Other companies use shims to equalize height differences (by moving the TOB closer to the fingers) as we have with our single-disc and Super-Twin set-ups. I am assuming that you are referencing a shim behind the bearing/slave on your specific set-up. Is this correct?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
I am assuming that you are referencing a shim behind the bearing/slave on your specific set-up. Is this correct?
Correct.

I'm thankful to have Spec in here! Your mini-twin gets me all hot and bothered.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Racing multi disk clutches like those made by Quarter Master are not shimmed. These clutches are designed to be rebuilt when the individual components, such as disks and floater plates are worn below a certain thickness. At that point a new disk pack and maybe even floaters are installed to regain the original stack up height.

Once exception are the carbon/carbon clutches. As they wear small shims are installed to regain the original stack up height.

Andrew
Old 11-10-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Racing multi disk clutches like those made by Quarter Master are not shimmed. These clutches are designed to be rebuilt when the individual components, such as disks and floater plates are worn below a certain thickness. At that point a new disk pack and maybe even floaters are installed to regain the original stack up height.

Once exception are the carbon/carbon clutches. As they wear small shims are installed to regain the original stack up height.

Andrew
Thanx Andrew! Using something like the a 7.25" Ceramettalic or Hybrid Tilton as an example, will a triple need rebuilding sooner than a double? If so, why?
Old 11-11-2011, 11:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anytime you compound wear vertically like you are saying a little wear will make more of a difference.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with your new setup?
Old 11-11-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Anytime you compound wear vertically like you are saying a little wear will make more of a difference.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with your new setup?
I'm trying to get a silly low MOI clutch (something <9" and <20-30 pounds total)that can be used on for street/autocross/road course and handle 500 ft lbs. I'm seriously looking at Tilton's hybrid (one organic, one ceramettalic) 7.25 twin, PTTs 7.25 organic twin/triple, the Aussie Mantic street dual sprung clutch, and spec mini twin. In an ideal cash filled world I'd just buy a carbon/carbon clutch and be done with it, but $4000 isn't in the cards for a clutch right now.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GIGAPUNK
I'm trying to get a silly low MOI clutch (something <9" and <20-30 pounds total)that can be used on for street/autocross/road course and handle 500 ft lbs. I'm seriously looking at Tilton's hybrid (one organic, one ceramettalic) 7.25 twin, PTTs 7.25 organic twin/triple, the Aussie Mantic street dual sprung clutch, and spec mini twin. In an ideal cash filled world I'd just buy a carbon/carbon clutch and be done with it, but $4000 isn't in the cards for a clutch right now.
I can build you a 7.25" or 8.5" that would give you one of the lowest MOI's possible. PTT, Tilton, and QM can do it as well. It's old technology that's easily made. Budget and timeline is important... I can get it much lighter than 20-30lbs as well.

Shoot me an email and let me know, steve@monsterclutches.com.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
I can build you a 7.25" or 8.5" that would give you one of the lowest MOI's possible. PTT, Tilton, and QM can do it as well. It's old technology that's easily made. Budget and timeline is important... I can get it much lighter than 20-30lbs as well.

Shoot me an email and let me know, steve@monsterclutches.com.
Thank you Steve. I've never seen a button style monster clutch advertised, but it's good to know that another company with such a great reputation is available. From my limited research it seems that 19 pounds wouldn't be too difficult, I just worry about loosing too much thermal mass, and or the car actually stalling on decel. I'm sure there's a fine line there somewhere.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:40 AM
FormerVendor

Thank you Steve. I've never seen a button style monster clutch advertised, but it's good to know that another company with such a great reputation is available. From my limited research it seems that 19 pounds wouldn't be too difficult, I just worry about loosing too much thermal mass, and or the car actually stalling on decel. I'm sure there's a fine line there somewhere.
Here's an example of a super light twin we built, you will definitely have to retune for it...
http://www.youtube.com/user/vegaman7.../6/VXcMR-ejxsU
Old 11-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Your talking the clutch assembly only, right?
Not the flywheel also.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanx Andrew! Using something like the a 7.25" Ceramettalic or Hybrid Tilton as an example, will a triple need rebuilding sooner than a double? If so, why?
In my FC RX7 I used to run a Quarter Master single disk 8.5" clutch with a one piece flywheel and a sintered iron disk on a solid hub. The flywheel and clutch together were under 20 pounds. It was a drag car but it worked well.

You can accomplish something similar by using a Quarter Master dual disk 7.25" Rally on a button flywheel and a automatic transmission flexplate. The 7.25" Rally uses a 3 disk cover in conjunction with thicker disks. Don't be afraid of the solid hubs especially in a light car.

Also keep in mind that these little clutches don't like to be slipped. A quick blip of the throttle and a rapid release will make for a clean start without too much drama or overheating the clutch. Don't forget that these clutches use a flat diaphragm spring and thus require a radius face bearing for release. Quarter Master makes an adapter to use on a T56 in conjunction with their Tri-Lite bearing.

Andrew
Old 11-15-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Steve, that's what I'm talking about. Last time I heard a car free rev that fast was when I heard a Porsche Carrera GT (factory with a triple disc carbon/carbon clutch and way small flywheel)., check out this video:

http://youtu.be/bUFt1_EJSD8

Nowhereman, I'm talking about "button" clutches. The button is like the flywheel's friction surface alone, but then it's usually just bolted to an automatic transmission like flexplate to give the starter something to engage.

Andrew, I kept hearing the miata guys say not to sweat the solid (non mercel) friction hubs. They do it to get a lighter clutch for small cost. Why does it works better in small cars?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

My tilton triple requires no shimming threw out it's life of disc wear.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Andrew, I kept hearing the miata guys say not to sweat the solid (non mercel) friction hubs. They do it to get a lighter clutch for small cost. Why does it works better in small cars?
I am not even talking about the absence of the mercel spring. I am talking about the lack of springs in the center of the hub. Small diameter, multi-disk clutches don't have the room for sprung hubs.

To get a small car moving is much easier than a big car, especially with a big V8 engine. The 8.5" single disk that I used just worked. Blip the throttle and quickly release the clutch pedal and I was on my way. No drama. Heat is the enemy of all clutches, especially small ones. They don't have the mass to absorb and dissipate the heat, so various components start to warp if overheated. If a floater plate warps, it is over. The clutch will not release cleanly because the edges of the floater will start to dig into the legs of the cover.

Andrew
Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 PM
FormerVendor

A button option is certainly light...but as you seem to recognize, too little weight is not always ideal. We offer these as well but they are not always the best option. Our 7.25" unit with our aluminum flywheel will have a weight of just under 20-lbs. It sound like this (SC09MT2) would be a great option for you! Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 11-15-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

A button option is certainly light...but as you seem to recognize, too little weight is not always ideal. We offer these as well but they are not always the best option. Our 7.25" unit with our aluminum flywheel will have a weight of just under 20-lbs. It sound like this (SC09MT2) would be a great option for you! Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Would you happen to have a picture of that setup?

Andrew
Old 11-15-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That clutch looks perfect. I've admired it for a long time.

http://speed-eng.com/store/spec-mini...ag-p-8512.html

It's already engineered, and well supported. But it's also about $500 (or 50%)more than comparable clutches from Tilton or PTT.

Last edited by GIGAPUNK; 11-15-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

That clutch looks perfect. I've admired it for a long time.

http://speed-eng.com/store/spec-mini...ag-p-8512.html

It's already engineered, and well supported. But it's also about $500 (or 50%)more than comparable clutches from Tilton or PTT.
The extra cost is in the flywheel. A button clutch is OK, but a flywheel, like the Spec, is a more elegant solution.

That actually looks like a 8.5" and not a 7.25".

Andrew
Old 11-15-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The extra cost is in the flywheel. A button clutch is OK, but a flywheel, like the Spec, is a more elegant solution.

That actually looks like a 8.5" and not a 7.25".

Andrew
Other than added elegance, does the flywheel have any advantage mechanically or thermally over a button and flexplate?

Quick Reply: Will a triple disc clutch require more frequent shimming than a dual disc clutch?