Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help! rock hard clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 05:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! rock hard clutch pedal

I've pm'ed spec and currently waiting for a reply but I also want to ask you guys for some advice

I've been trying really hard to solve my problem for last couple of days but I can't seem to find the solution.

engine : ls1(t56)
clutch : spec stage2
flywheel : new gm
master cylinder : wilwood 3/4
remote bleeder

I completed the swap and only thing left on it is to bleed the clutch line.

when me and my friend bled the clutch for the first time, pedal would not come back up first few tries. we went ahead and brought the pedal back up by hand. after few more pumps, clutch started to bleed but pedal got super hard (not able to push the pedal at all).

I'm thinking my clutch pedal could have caused everthing since it was sitting kind of low (lower than brake pedal roughly by 1inch)

but can the low pedal cause hydraulic system to bleed all wierd? I mean I would understand if it could not get rid of all the bubbles..but to get rock hard.
I will be adjusting pedal to sit correctly this time with good travel. I'm just thinking of all the possibilities as I do not want to lower the tranny again.

when we first put on a clutch, we did not measure the tob/pp gap but after noticing something was wrong(we found out tob was pushing pp by 3mm with shim provided), we took out the tranny and measured pressure plate to tob distance and it's within spec.

I've checked for leaks everywhere and quick disconnect at slave cylinder.
I've searched and read all posts but I don't see what really causes hard pedal

Please help me with some guidance!!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the master cylinder line somehow came apart from the slave it will cause a hard pedal, you might want to try taking it off and reconnecting it.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by southpaw0314
if the master cylinder line somehow came apart from the slave it will cause a hard pedal, you might want to try taking it off and reconnecting it.
Same thing I was thinking. Try what southpaw said and see if that fixes it.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blwn_by_Twins
Same thing I was thinking. Try what southpaw said and see if that fixes it.
I will try that and update
Old 11-11-2011, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Yup I bet that slave cylinder line wasnt fully engaged and pop out.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Teching In

i checked for connection from master cyl to slave cyl and quick connector is attached fine.. I'm using 4an to 45degree coupler instead of 37 degree like it's supposed to.(I couldn't find 4an to 3/8 benjo at the time) I did order it from summit recently and it's on its way so I hope that will solve the problem. But is that a possility? there isn't a leak on that connector..
Old 11-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Teching In

so I got the new fitting and installed it with same issue.

I did check the quick connector(quick connector to 4an russel 641001) on slave cylinder and it is connected with the pin still in its location.

I have 1mm air gap between the pp and tob.

what could be wrong?
Old 11-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Somewhere from your master to your slave the line is loose.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
Somewhere from your master to your slave the line is loose.
thanks for your comment but when I had everything apart, I pushed on the master cylinder and slave moved fine.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shifty`
Yes. One is intended to replace your master cylinder fitting, the other is intended to replace your slave cylinder fitting.

As I understand it, either the fitting(s) or the tension pins are different - as in you can only put one of each in their respective locations.

It looks like Summit has them back in stock, too.

I just saw above in another thread. is this true?

I took everything apart today.. once again..

while I had everything apart, I set up a little bench testing setup with a press (like this here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkdDE660LGI). when pedal is pressed, slave cylinder wouldn't budge.

everything seemed fine and I bled everything.. only to find that slave won't push on the pp.

when I checked to see if slave function correctly with my hands pushing down, it releases. so basically I have not enough pressure

now what's my problem?? master and slave is new. so I'm hoping its the fitting!!!

Last edited by battery1882; 11-21-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

I got your PM and replied to it as well. If the slave isn't moving when the pedal is depressed the it is not being pressurised by the Master. This really has to be an issue with fluid transfer and is most likely relative to the line and or the quick-disconnect. I know you have checked and changed this but I can't see it being anything else. Let me know if you find anything else. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
I got your PM and replied to it as well. If the slave isn't moving when the pedal is depressed the it is not being pressurised by the Master. This really has to be an issue with fluid transfer and is most likely relative to the line and or the quick-disconnect. I know you have checked and changed this but I can't see it being anything else. Let me know if you find anything else. Thanks!
Thanks for your support !

I am thinking and hoping that its the quick connector.
The quick disconnect fitting that i got (russel) came in pack of two and someone was saying that those two are different ??? So ill try that next.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:58 AM
Teching In

I checked everything throughly today but I can't seem to find the problem.

basically everything works like its supposed to.. but slave cylinder does not have enough pressure to push the pressure plate.

if any of the connector/ hose were lose somewhere, there would be a leak right? but I have no leaks anywhere.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by battery1882
I just saw above in another thread. is this true? I took everything apart today.. once again....while I had everything apart, I set up a little bench testing setup with a press . when pedal is pressed, slave cylinder wouldn't budge.
(your quote) "This car is actually possessed by Satan" ...........

I have'nt ever run into this before and looking at the dates of this thread, you have been messing with this for awhile. Seeing no constructive responses, it sounds like none of us know the answer either !!!!

I truly feel for ya, man!!! I'm sorry you're not getting any help with this!
Old 11-22-2011, 12:18 PM
FormerVendor

If you were leaking by inside the Master then this could reduce the pressure that the slave actually sees. Where are you located? If you are near us I am sure I can schedule some time for you to drop buy and we can take a look at it. Are you sure that the disc is installed with the proper orientation?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Teching In

finally solved!!

I'm alittle embarassed to say that it was the pedal. pivot angle was just a little off and it couldn't push the master enough. after messing with all those hydraulic fluid, I am happy to say that it is DONE!

Thanks all for your support! Especailly Jeremy @ spec!

Quick Reply: Help! rock hard clutch pedal