Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Difficulty Shifting in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Difficulty Shifting in Reverse

I had recently taken my engine and trans out of my car for my new engine build. During this time I installed a Tick Master Cylinder and a Monster Stage 3 clutch. I never touched any part of the transmission.

Today when I was installing the shifter I could shift through gears 1-6, but when I tried shifting into reverse, it would take a considerable amount of force. It was much more difficult to get in than before.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Would installing the clutch master incorrectly cause this? The clutch pedal feels very firm and I do not think there is air in the system.

I have yet to start my new engine, so I don't know if there would be any grinding noises when I try to shift.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Make sure its bleed good, Also probly need to adjust the master some more. Once you start it up try it and then try and shift and adjust the master till it shifts great.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reverse lockout solenoid isnt plugged in or needs replacing.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did it feel different with the stock shifter?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Reverse lockout solenoid isnt plugged in or needs replacing.
This is probably your answer. That is one of the symptoms with a problem in that circuit.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was it hard to get it all the way over far enough to get into reverse? Or hard to get it into the reverse gate? Mine is hard to actually engage reverse, but I just pull it down into second then swing it over into reverse and it goes in easily. If it's easy to get it over to the right, I would doubt it had to do with the solenoid...
Old 11-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Teching In

It definatly feels different than before. I can get the shifter through the gate but it feels like I am pushing against a stiff spring.

If it was the reverse lockout, would it still lock me out if it was unplugged? Or does it only go into the locked position when commanded by the ECU?
Old 11-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Teching In

My Camaro does that sometimes if I let the transmission sit in neutral for an extended period of time. It goes back to normal quite quickly, however, once I start up the engine. I know the feeling. When u put it into reverse and just slap the shifter up, it returns to neutral very forcefully correct?
Old 11-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Yes. That is exactly what it is doing
Old 11-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Did you ever force it into gear and then try driving in reverse? Is that how it went away?
Old 11-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Sometimes you have to hold the shifter in reverse to keep it from kicking out but you usually only have to do that once and it fixes itself. I never really looked into what could be causing it, but its not something that occurs often so I don't think its too big of a problem personally.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think our reverse has a synchro, which could be what makes it hard to engage the gear sitting still... If I'm at a stop and move the shifter over and try to push it 'up' into reverse, it's difficult to "notch" it into gear, for lack of better term. However, if I keep the clutch in and engage a different gear first then immediately go to reverse it slides in just fine.

Quick Reply: Difficulty Shifting in Reverse