Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I need a beer

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default I need a beer

So, I got my new Spec clutch in. It bolted right up to my ACT flywheel without issue. The new slave cylinder went on like a charm, and didn't need a shim. Trans slid in with a minimum of fuss. Put in my new aluminum drive shaft and bolted it up to the rear end.

Good so far. So, it was time to bleed the clutch. I installed a remote bleeder and the bleeding process went simply, if rather long. A power bleeder helped immensely.

When I test fired the car, it ran butter-smooth. 1st gear and 2nd were stone silent (or at least, not noticeable above with open headers/hi-flow cats). Shifting higher, however, I discovered two things: the master cylinder is leaking (just happened to be looking down) and the trans rattles pretty bad in third and forth gear

I'm giving it a rest tonight, but I'm open to your collective insights. I've already got an adjustable master ordered. Basics on the trans: 1998 F-body t56 with 80K miles. Noise was heard with the car on stands (no load, except rearend and tires). Clutch engages and disengages fine. Drive shaft is new, with new solid u-joints. Trans has just shy of 4 quarts of Dex 3 in it.

Last edited by 1981TA; 11-21-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you are on the way to fixing the leak, which is good. As for the noise, you have lightened the clutch assembly, and the drive-shaft, and as such it wouldn't be unusual to hear greater gear-noise. Once the leak is fixed put it on the ground and drive it...then let us know what you experience.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
It sounds like you are on the way to fixing the leak, which is good. As for the noise, you have lightened the clutch assembly, and the drive-shaft, and as such it wouldn't be unusual to hear greater gear-noise. Once the leak is fixed put it on the ground and drive it...then let us know what you experience.
Shall do. Thanks Jeremy. I'll keep you posted.