Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 good or bad idea for around 800hp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 good or bad idea for around 800hp?

so i have posted in the engine part that i am working on a ls1 project car

i have yet to figure what i want to throw the motor in but its going to be a ls1 base, bored over to a 6.0l maybe bigger, motor comes to geather after deployment and when i get back to the states.
i dont like the rush into a project without thinking things through so it a big motor with either twins or a single 88mm garret turbo. looking at 650-800hp so i need a transmission that can hold up. i want to use a t56 out of a gto becuase i hear its the next best step stock to a viper t56? but with the power i hope to push even the viper one wont hold (saws its good for 550hp)

so what do i need to do to make a t56 work with the power i want to push? also i dont know if your able to help but i am thinking of trying to make a awd car if i can get a transfercase to work with a t56? any thoughts, i saw on here someone saw a borg warrner 44something mates or someone had a borg warrner somethign attached to there t56 if anyones got info on a awd setup that coudl work please post. again this is all just into the planning stage
Old 11-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Banned

You are putting the cart way in front of the horse here. The very first thing you need to do is figure out what you are going to use for a platform to build off of. After that you'd better take a good look at your budget you intend on spending because building a T56 like you want with a custom tail housing to use a transfer case on it is going to run some big money!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Teching In

like i said everythign is in the planning stages are now on what project i am going to do. right now i am in the middle of tryign to deside either to get a 944 and just throw a ls1 in. or spending the $$ getting a rx7 and then selling the usless junk i dont need from it. but that 10000 upfront. or going and doing somethign radical like a awd 800hp subby. i am leaning this way since you can get a sb in there but i figure that a awd is going to change a lot of things. i am in process of building my shop up. so right now i am trying to price out what i want to do, plus if i start the planning and i can peace parts togeather when i find them cheap. such as finding a gto parting out and getting the tranny out of it or anythign like this sinse i have seen it before. like i said right now everything is up in the air i am trying to see what is possible out of a ls1 and a t56 set up. i am not really concerned with what its going to cost right now as its just planning. i threw out the idea to push 9k rpms just for fun becuase thats to much. everything can be made to fit and i like making things that arint suppose to fit, fit. its all just for fun. if it cant be done for a decent amount then that idea is out the door and time to get into something else. heck i was thinking maybe modifing a audi trannsmission to fit. i know that might be easier but it woudl never hold 800hp and thats were my ideas shoot to a tranny built for v8 but not for awd. heck it might just be easier to get a 1500ss transimission and transfer case and just hack up the body and deal with a automatic if i really want a 800hp subby that bad when my shop is done.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

Just to give you an idea about the trans itself. Considering you will not have a core, figure on about $600-800 just for that. On top of that, figure about $1500 for the building of that core to handle the desired amount of power you plan to make. So right there you are at $2300 just for a basic T56. If you want to have a custom built tail section built to accept a transfer case, figure another $600-$1000 depending on who is doing it and how long it will take to get it done. So you are at $3300 right there and those numbers are pretty much based off of what I would charge to do it using a C5 unit with a 9310 mainshaft as a starting point to build from. Actual cost is probably going to be around $4000 when its all said and done. This doesn't include the transfer case, bellhousing, shifter or anything else needed to make it work.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tick performance a sponsor on here can build you one no problem
Old 11-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Teching In

i did a google search tryign to find the post i found earlier this week and i stummbled apone this
http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66882
so roughly 5000$ for the transfercase. and i can get a m12 out of gtos for around 1500-2000 when i was looking them up but if you just said i can get a one built for 2300 doesnt look like ill spend the 10000$ i though i would... heck if i cant make it work or just end up gathering 10000$ for a transmission and end up goign down a different path and a different car i will get a sequental shifter just for the fun of owning a crazy car.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rossypho
i did a google search tryign to find the post i found earlier this week and i stummbled apone this
http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66882
so roughly 5000$ for the transfercase. and i can get a m12 out of gtos for around 1500-2000 when i was looking them up but if you just said i can get a one built for 2300 doesnt look like ill spend the 10000$ i though i would... heck if i cant make it work or just end up gathering 10000$ for a transmission and end up goign down a different path and a different car i will get a sequental shifter just for the fun of owning a crazy car.
$5000 probably isn't too far off. You are going to need a smaller unit like what is found in the S10 type vehicles and you are going to need to keep the weight around 3400 lbs or less. It can be done, it's just not going to be a simple or cheap task. A 4wd 4L60E would be a hell of a lot cheaper to do and probably easier to drive and faster on the streets since its going to be turbo charged.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

That SyTy build up is my buddy's Syclone and his has $$$$'s into the T56 conversion. Granted he didn't do any work himself... but it is approaching $20K or more with fabwork.

Word of advice. Stick with RWD..... and don't try making an AWD V8 setup. You will learn the true meaning of blowing money if you do. That whooshing sound will be the money flying out of your wallet.... not the wind!

If you plan to make 800hp+.... the T56 should have a Viper output shaft. That being said... you can always install one when it snaps the factory one... if/when it does.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Always a good idea to be bangin gears

Quick Reply: t56 good or bad idea for around 800hp?