Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Went to start car. Depressed clutch pedal. Twisted key. Car lurched forward!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 161 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Went to start car. Depressed clutch pedal. Twisted key. Car lurched forward!

My WS6 has 25,000 miles on it and I'm the original owner. This is the first problem I've ever had with it. Temperature of the garage this morning was about 45° F.

I've done plenty of research on this "clutch pedal sticking to the floor" issue but mine seems to be different. The car hadn't been driven for two days and I was trying to start it. Shifter was in 1st gear and I depressed the clutch pedal As I twisted the key, the car shot forward and I slammed on the brakes! The front end of the car just "kissed" the front of my garage wall . I thought that my immaculate Trans Am's front end was trashed but I got soooooooo lucky. Only a little bit of clear coat got scuffed .

The pedal is on the floor and I can pull it up with my hand but when I go to depress the pedal (engine off) it feels wrong and just stays on the floor again.

As of this point I've only done online research so I haven't even checked the color of the fluid nor the level. It all happened so suddenly that it made me think that something mechanical actually broke.

My car was stone cold and the engine wasn't running. This seems to be different than the problems I've been reading about. Any advice/ideas before I start looking at this thing?

Danny
Old 11-30-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start with the fluid level in the reservoir, is there fluid in it?

Look underneath for leaks. If your car is on an incline with nose up, the fluid could pool into the bellhousing.

The clutch pressure plate has springs that push back on the slave to keep it compressed, all of those could break(highly unlikely).

Either the slave broke and its fluid is now puked inside the bellhousing and spilled onto the clutch or the master seals gave way and you are just pushing fluid within the master. That's happened to me before, but I was able to pump the pedal to get some use of the master.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:51 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Do you let your brakes go 10 years without bleeding them and expect the brakes to work properly? No matter the mileage, that's step 1 of what's needed.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SladeX
Start with the fluid level in the reservoir, is there fluid in it? I checked the fluid level and it doesn't appear to be low but it is dark. I need to change this stuff out.

Look underneath for leaks. If your car is on an incline with nose up, the fluid could pool into the bellhousing. The car is on a perfectly flat garage floor and there are no leaks that I could see.

The clutch pressure plate has springs that push back on the slave to keep it compressed, all of those could break(highly unlikely).

Either the slave broke and its fluid is now puked inside the bellhousing and spilled onto the clutch or the master seals gave way and you are just pushing fluid within the master. That's happened to me before, but I was able to pump the pedal to get some use of the master.
I'm thinking that the clutch master cylinder seals might have given out. I used my hand to pull the clutch pedal up and then push it back down. The pedal is real easy to push. Kinda like it's not doing anything on the other end.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmd
Do you let your brakes go 10 years without bleeding them and expect the brakes to work properly? No matter the mileage, that's step 1 of what's needed.
My brakes work 100% properly. The brakes are what saved me from having a Trans Am with a front end that resembles an accordion. The problem is with my clutch.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bet from now on you start it with it out of gear.lol.

Start with the simple stuff first, like the fluid. Then move on to the harder stuff... it would be a good time to get an adjustable master cylinder though.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
bet from now on you start it with it out of gear.lol.

Start with the simple stuff first, like the fluid. Then move on to the harder stuff... it would be a good time to get an adjustable master cylinder though.
You got that right !!
Old 11-30-2011, 08:41 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyual777
My brakes work 100% properly. The brakes are what saved me from having a Trans Am with a front end that resembles an accordion. The problem is with my clutch.
Most people relate to brake maintenance better than clutch maintenance. I'll spare you the agony of drawing a conclusion.

Your clutch needs bled. Possibly more needs done, but that's step one.

Unfortunately, the concentric slave cylinder setup of the LS_ cars can allow a poorly operating clutch release system to lead to transmission damage.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In all of my hours of research on this topic today, I realize that I've really got to change out that dark fluid and bleed the system. I'm also suspecting that the clutch master cylinder might be bad. Unfortunately work will be getting in the way for the next little while.

Prior to this car, I've never owned a hydraulic clutch. I had no idea about these issues.

Quick Reply: Went to start car. Depressed clutch pedal. Twisted key. Car lurched forward!