Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tail-shaft case replacement issues...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tail-shaft case replacement issues...

i replaced the tailshaft housing on my 2004 gto, and everything was going good, until i was putting the driveshaft back in and went to turn the slip yoke and it was stuck, wouldnt come out woldnt turn, even when i had my dad push the clutch in.

so i took the case back off, put the yoke back on and had my dad push the clutch in to free up the tranny and it still wouldnt move...

he then tried to move around the shift rod, i swear i heard something fall into the transmission... any ideas ? let me know
Old 12-05-2011, 07:59 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

All done in-car?

What hapens if the car is started for a short time?
Old 12-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Staging Lane

i didnt start the car after i replaced the tailshaft, because even with the case off and the clutch in, the tranny was still locked up.

I know it wasnt locked up before i started the job because the ebrake warning would come because the driveshaft wasnt hooked to the tailshaft so the tailshaft was spinning making the car think its moving.

Install done with transmission in car
Old 12-06-2011, 08:47 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Well, the inner shift rail won't let you bolt it down unless it's in line w/ the hole in the tailhousing. So that, nor anything about the mainshaft should be the issue.

The small bearing at the rear of the countershaft extension has it's race set in the tailhousing and likes to drop out when setting a tailhousing back on vertically. But that wouldn't lock it up if the tail is pulled again and you did horizontally.

The shift rails shouldn't drop out if the two guide bolts are in place.

Who's next?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd
Who's next?
Need way more background info before even guessing...

Why was the tailhousing replaced?

Was a new or used tailhousing used as the replacement?

Can we assume that the transmission turned freely before you removed the tail?

Was the rollpin captured when taking off the shifter offset lever, or did it drop?

All this work was presumingly done with all the fluid drained and you never got as far as refilling fluid?

You had no problem putting the new tail on with the trans tilted down? The extension shaft and 5/6/R shift rail went into the new tail without issue?

There's more to this story, we just need to pry it out and figure out what happened.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Need way more background info before even guessing...

Why was the tailhousing replaced?

cracked it when i broke a droke a rubber donut on the drivesshaft

Was a new or used tailhousing used as the replacement?

brand new from tick performance

Can we assume that the transmission turned freely before you removed the tail?

yes we can assume so

Was the rollpin captured when taking off the shifter offset lever, or did it drop?

i had to tap it out to case the case fully off

All this work was presumingly done with all the fluid drained and you never got as far as refilling fluid?

yep drained everything first, a little more came out when i got the old tailhouseing off, and didnt refill it cause of this issue

You had no problem putting the new tail on with the trans tilted down? The extension shaft and 5/6/R shift rail went into the new tail without issue?

yep everything when it pretty easy, just had to goes in a pattern around the case to get the new tailshaft case flush with the main case, but the slip yoke did have a problem just sliding in the housing... had to tap it in

There's more to this story, we just need to pry it out and figure out what happened.

heres yours answers thanks for trying to help me figure it out
Old 12-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

heres picture of the cracked case.

as she sits currently.. =[
Old 12-06-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JoeyG2
yep everything when it pretty easy, just had to goes in a pattern around the case to get the new tailshaft case flush with the main case, but the slip yoke did have a problem just sliding in the housing... had to tap it in
So 2 things I can infer/guess:

1) if you had to use bolts "in a pattern" to pull the tailhousing up, you've probably damaged either the housing or linkage (or both).

2) if you cracked the tail like that, it probably bent the mainshaft, splines, and/or yoke which will make the yoke impossible to re-install.

I seriously suggest you drop the entire trans and do a complete teardown, evaluation, and rebuild or you'll be chasing problems..

Last edited by 85MikeTPI; 12-06-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

i also had a new yoke, but the tranny was spinning fine before this, why would it just lock up out of nowhere.

The main output shaft wasnt bent, thats the only reason why i tried to instal another case in the first place, i wouldnt of tried if it was bent/mangled
Old 12-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

and even with the tail-case off, it wouldnt spin
Old 12-06-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

i also had a new yoke, but the tranny was spinning fine before this, why would it just lock up out of nowhere.
" if you had to use bolts "in a pattern" to pull the tailhousing up, you've probably damaged either the housing or linkage (or both)."

The main output shaft wasnt bent, thats the only reason why i tried to instal another case in the first place, i wouldnt of tried if it was bent/mangled
" if you cracked the tail like that, it probably bent the mainshaft, splines, and/or yoke which will make the yoke impossible to re-install."
Old 12-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

so the new case is just supposed to slide right up the existing main case ?, the space wasnt even 1/4" away from the main case when i went in a pattern to tighten the new tailhousing on
Old 12-06-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmd
Who's next?
Tag Matt, you're it.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:52 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Time to pull it as said in post #8.

This time, inspection and assembly should be done nose down, *** up.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why wouldnt you just pull the tranny? In my F I can have my tranny out in less than an hour. Just sayin.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:33 AM
Staging Lane

well i dont have a lift or air tools, and this is the first time ive worked on a t56, but ive done work on other trannys, i planned to pull, but i dont have time to figure out how to rebuild myself, tthats why i was asking to see if it could be somethin minor that just slipped out of place because i did it with it in the car
Old 12-07-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

so the new case is just supposed to slide right up the existing main case ?, the space wasnt even 1/4" away from the main case when i went in a pattern to tighten the new tailhousing on
As said earlier yes the tailhousing should just slide on and sit flush, and since you did this while the transmission was still in the car you need to lift up slightly on the shift rail with a very thin screwdriver and the case will sit flush, since you pulled the tailhousing on with with bolts I am surprised you didn't crack your new housing. Looks like since your new housing didn't crack you forced the shift rail and damaged something there, and the tolerances from the main shaft splines and the slip yoke are fairly tight and more than likely you have a damaged mainshaft since you stated you are using a new slip yoke, kind of what everyone told you on LS1GTO.com
Old 12-07-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lizeec
kind of what everyone told you on LS1GTO.com
So we're getting played.. Asking the same questions here, hoping for different answers...
Old 12-07-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yup, I think he's hoping someone has a crystal ball and can diagnose the problem with the bits and pieces of information given. I am still surprised he got the housing to mate up using his tightening the bolts in pattern method without cracking the new housing.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:38 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

well i dont have a lift or air tools
Nor do I. Just a floor jack, stands and a crappy trans. jack. Sometimes you gotta do things the hard way to do them right.

Quick Reply: tail-shaft case replacement issues...