Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

fork issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fork issues

Last week I was driving the car and when coming to a stop the clutch got real hardand I was bairly able to pull it out of gear. Then trying to put it back in gear it got REAL stiff then flew to thr floor with the slightest touch.

I was able to get the car back home and get up underneith it. The slave cyl was cracked. So got the hydrolics replaced. Got in the car to test it out, felt light the first pump, then REAL hard again. Never forced it when it got hard, it just stopped. So I take the slve off and everything looks ok, start messing with the fork and it almost falls out of the access hole.

Never having worked on the T56 before I was wondering if anyone had any good pics of what the fork is supposed to look like when attached. I have read up on shbox and seen the manual but pics always help as well.

I am hoping to get the tranny off next weekend, and I am going to replace the clutch while it is apart, but with the fork falling out the way it did I am sure that something broke. any ideas? I could push it into place but it would move back about 1/2" when pushed and almost fall back out...
Old 12-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Banned

If this is an lt1 car, the fork is held in place by a pedestal and a bolt. It shouldn't go anywhere.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Ya 97 lt1. Ya I was reading that one its in place it should not fall out of place that easy
Old 12-11-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

fork should not just slide off easily with tranny bolted in. possible ball stud it slides on to is bent, broken or lose...or clutch fork bent. Also your TP bearing could have also broken. You need to pull tranny to confirm

pic of what fork should look like installed
Attached Thumbnails fork issues-clutch-inst-8-clutch-fork.jpg  
Old 12-11-2011, 10:52 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

http://www.afrashteh.com/tranny_pics/fork.jpg
http://www.afrashteh.com/tranny_pics/fork_pivot.jpg

You can see where the pivot/tee is bolted in place inboard of the spring.

Then to make clearance for the slave spacer, it's pushed in onto the throwout bearing which clips the spring over the tee.

The "slop" in the fork is alarming at first. It'll all make sense when you take things apart.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the pics. It will definitely help once I pull it out.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Teching In

I have a new clutch on the way. and I know that the rear main seal will also get replaced. Anything else that should get looked at while the tranny is off?

and the more I think of it the more I am leaning towards the fork retaining spring busted off..

anyone know of a place local to Houston that may have one that I could just pick up? ( that is a long shot, I know...) GMpartsdirect had it listed for $60...

Quick Reply: fork issues