Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

First T56, First Hydraulic Clutch Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First T56, First Hydraulic Clutch Questions

Hi all, been doing some reading and have a few questions on whats normal. This is my first T56 and my first hydraulic clutch.

The drill mod sounds very necessary but I'm not really comfortable doing it myself, nor do I think I have the tools anyway. Would just sucking it up and having a good shop put in the Tick master with the remote bleeder be a worthwhile mod? What does a part like that allow you to do? What is it you are adjusting? Like the heigh off the floor it engages? Stiffness?

Sometimes the car does not want to go into 1st or reverse, but if you hold the shifter in gear and start to let the clutch in it will fall right in, is this more just getting everything lined up and not the "your shift fork is fucked"?

What noises are normal and what are some to look out for? Sometimes when I shift I can hear what honestly sounds like something hydraulic at work, does that system just make noise and it's nothing to worry about?

Any good tips on how to handle commonish problems? Like if the clutch pedal sticks to the floor or you can't get the trans out of gear is there anything you can do or is just tow truck time and thats it?
Old 12-23-2011, 06:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

The problem with most guys clutches is the pressure plate. There are ways to bandaide it a little.

If the pedal sticks then pull it back up and let rpm's come down. Same thing used to happen with mechanical clutches.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J8127
Sometimes the car does not want to go into 1st or reverse, but if you hold the shifter in gear and start to let the clutch in it will fall right in, is this more just getting everything lined up and not the "your shift fork is fucked"?
I'm certainly no expert on this topic, but I just had this experience on my car. Apparently this could be a sign that you at the end of clutch life. I just had a new clutch installed in my '99 Z28. I got 129K miles out of the original clutch and 100K miles out of the second one. Now I'm hoping for another 100K miles out of this new one.

Again .... I'm no expert and there could be multiple other reasons why you are experiencing trouble getting into first and reverse. Good luck.

Quick Reply: First T56, First Hydraulic Clutch Questions