Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I think my slave cylinder is busted?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default I think my slave cylinder is busted?

So i just recently bought a 2000 SS and it was locking me out of gear at high rpm so I replaced the master cylinder. Well I've bled and bled and even replaced the new master with another new one and still can't get any pedal. I noticed the bottom of the bellhousing is wet to. Is it possible the fluid coming from inside the bellhousing is from what ran from the bleeder or does it sound like I've got a bad slave? i really don't want to drop a tranny any time soon. Also if it is busted did it ruin my clutch? Its suppose to be a new one from a dealership? Thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you could have a bad slave, or you could just be running into the clutch issue that everyone does. Gm hydraulic master sucks and will stick the pedal to the floor and lock you out of gears at high rpm. I have the same issue, but I'll be solving it with the tick master cylinder. It flows much more fluid and everyone on here swears by it.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you still getting air out of the system? You say the bell housing is wet, is it wet with brake fluid? If you answered yes to these two questions, then there is about a 99% chance you need a new slave.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 161 Likes on 140 Posts

I couldn't pin my clutch pedal problem down until I noticed that my clutch master cylinder fluid level was lower than where I'd filled it during my recent fluid flush. Not only that but there was a wet spot on the bottom of the bellhousing.

As I jacked the back end of the car up, hydraulic fluid ran out of the slot in the bottom of the bellhousing. Yeah, my slave cylinder is toast and it sounds like yours is too.

My car is up on jackstands and hopefully the tranny will be out tomorrow.....or Tuesday.

Quick Reply: I think my slave cylinder is busted?