Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 Problems

I recently purchased a 2000 SS. The transmission shift fine at cruising speeds and up to like 4500 RPM's if I'm shifting it nicely. But anything higher than that, it barely goes into 2nd, I have to really work at it to get it in there. 3rd goes in a little easier, but still not as easy as it should. Same with 4th and 5th. When just cruising I can hear, what sounds like a spinning buzz sound (hard to explain), while in gear. Occasionally, if in 5th gear (not sure about others) if i leave it in gear, press the clutch and rev a little, it grinds, like I'm trying to shift without using a clutch. If I get on it in first, and then press the clutch in, leaving it in 1st for a second, it makes all kinds of weird sounds, sounds that don't sound good at all.

The car only has 120k miles on it, all stock except for headers, full exhaust, short throw (un-known), skip shift has been tuned out.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea mine did the same thing and eventually got to the point where my first, 3rd, 5th, 6th and reverse went away. like wasnt able to use them anymore. my 3-4 fork was shaved down completely and all the teeth on the my gears were grinded down or chipped. best thing to do is drive it carefully for a while and save up money for a rebuild just in case. just because you dont drive it hard doesnt mean the guy before you drove it like a granny.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Teching In

I got a loan for the car, and luckily I took out about $1,500 extra just because I knew something had to be wrong with the car because of how cheap I got the car. How much does the typical rebuild cost? I seen that texas drivetrain performance does the stage 2 deal for $600, but I'm sure my transmission would need more parts than what the $600 is.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

contact jason over tdp ill pm you his number and let him check it out. i waited and waited and its costing me about $1600. which believe it or not is pretty cheap compared to buying a rebuilt oem t56 from anywhere. had i done it when i started having problems it wouldve only cost me $680 lol my dumbass drove it till it broke. as long as the case is good he can use it and he does really good work with a quick turnaround rate.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Teching In

I should of done that. I ended up taking it to a shop, that quoted me at the most about the same price as TDP would have been, except I didn't have to R&R the transmission my self. So I went with them. 3 days later they call me in and tell me its going to be $2,500 for the rebuild. Live and learn I guess.

I asked the shop if I should replace the fluid after 500 miles, and they said no. But I feel like its something that I should probably do, what do you guys think?

Quick Reply: t56 Problems