Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just bought an 02 Z28 M6 - Questions about the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Just bought an 02 Z28 M6 - Questions about the clutch

Hey guys, first post here. About 2 weeks ago, I purchased a 2002 Z28 Camaro with about 20k miles. It's an M6. I'm curious about other people's experiences with the stock clutch. I've driven a stick since I was 16 years old (26 now) and never had any problems driving smooth or engaging gears properly. However, I'm having a hard time with this car. I'm curious if those of you with an M6 LS1 f-body have the same experience or if this sounds like a problem with the car.

When I'm at speed and push down on the clutch to shift gears, rather than the car smoothly coming out of gear, the car often bucks slightly and makes a slight pop or thud sound - sounds like cocking a shotgun. I also find I have to be SUPER precise when releasing the clutch/giving gas going back in to gear or else the car bucks again. So, it usually bucks a little coming out of gear and bucks a little when I release the clutch to put it back in gear - makes for an unpleasant drive for myself and passengers. It isn't a loud sound and it doesn't buck wildly, but it's just enough to make controlling the car between shifts difficult. Is this just how these cars drive? Or does this sound like a problem? I've searched repeatedly in these forums and haven't seen anyone with quite this same set of issues. Any insight would be appreciated.

Anybody? Does this mean none of you have experienced what I'm talking about? Or does this mean what I'm describing is totally normal and no one has the heart to call me an idiot?

Forgot to add: No clutch slipping issues, but 2nd and 4th are pretty notchy.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried checking/changing the clutch fluid? What about trans fluid?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

djfury05, not yet. I actually have an appointment to have the clutch, trans and brake fluid swapped out next weekend. Does your SS do this at all or is it rock solid? It almost feels like there is some slack in the drivetrain that is just kinda slopping around between shifts, if that makes sense.

Actually just came across this thread, seems a number of people have this problem:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ng-clutch.html

However, no one in that thread seems to have any idea what to do about it.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by djfury05
Have you tried checking/changing the clutch fluid? What about trans fluid?
This!

BTW, the stock hydraulic systems in these transmission suck. Be ready to invest in an aftermarket master cylinder when you swap out that stock clutch.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

What sucks? 150k on mine.. Stock slave and clutch replaced at 117k. Occasional issues wit sticking until I swap out the fluid but otherwise it's been solid.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
This!

BTW, the stock hydraulic systems in these transmission suck. Be ready to invest in an aftermarket master cylinder when you swap out that stock clutch.
Thanks for the second vote on the fluids - I would LOVE if a flush/fresh fluid refill fixes the issue. About the hydraulics - I've already earmarked ~$350 of my tax return for a tick adjustable master. I'll probably go ahead and swap the slave while I'm at it. Buying an 02 with 20k miles means the car was probably hardly driven, so I could see it sitting for a while and seals on master/slave cylinders drying out, causing failure when the car was driven again.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I'll post my results of the fluid swap next weekend after it's done.

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
What sucks? 150k on mine.. Stock slave and clutch replaced at 117k. Occasional issues wit sticking until I swap out the fluid but otherwise it's been solid.
S8ER95Z, have you ever experienced the issue I'm talking about? Ever have a clunk or drivetrain motion when you push the clutch down? Or is yours always super smooth?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Always super smooth everytime.. I did start having rough issues when the slave was leaking. You can look under the car to see if any fluid comes out of the trans case after pumping the clutch a few times.

It's also possible that the car has an aftermarket clutch in it. I avoided going aftermarket because of 'chatter' and complaints about rough engagements. Until I need something better the car will keep getting own LS6 clutches (which your 02 would have come with from the factory).
Old 01-28-2012, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Always super smooth everytime.. I did start having rough issues when the slave was leaking. You can look under the car to see if any fluid comes out of the trans case after pumping the clutch a few times.

It's also possible that the car has an aftermarket clutch in it.
Thank you for that feedback. In the thread I referenced in my 2nd or 3rd post, someone reported that a similar problem went away when he replaced the slave cylinder, so maybe that's the culprit.

I'm about 99.9% sure the clutch is stock. The car has only 21k miles and was totally bone stock when I purchased it. I would be real surprised if someone swapped out an aftermarket clutch at those miles with no lid, exhaust or anything else at all modified. I've driven other stock LS1's and this feels pretty much identical. Very light pedal, very "loosey goosey" clutch for the masses type feeling - unlike the solid, heavy pedal feel of other aftermarket clutches I've used. I could be wrong, but I would be blown away if it ends up not being stock.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the shifter "sway"?

Trans mounts?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
Does the shifter "sway"?

Trans mounts?
Shifter seems just fine - no odd vibration and feels solid in gear. Goes into 1st/3rd/5th/Reverse easily but 2nd and 4th do seem to grind a tad going in. I had also considered transmission mounts, but in the thread I linked towards the top, a few people tried transmission mounts for the same issue and didn't have any luck. I also tried the trick I've seen referenced in other threads to see if the clutch is "catching" - I put it in first and revved to redline with my foot on the clutch, but the car never moved an inch.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe 2-3 is usually the ones that grind... Usually the culprit is syncros.

2/4 I'm not sure about. I think 1-2 is the only one that is beefed up a little.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Teching In

I've had the same problem. Coincidentally, I have an 02 Z28 M6 that I bought last April with just under 20K miles on it. The guy I bought it from averaged about 2K miles/year on it. He sent me a list of mods that he could remember, and aftermarket clutch wasn't one of them, so I'm guessing it's stock. But yeah, every time I get behind the wheel, it feels like I have to re-learn how to drive a stick. People behind me literally honk their horns sometimes. So let me know what you find out; I'd love to know what's causing it.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by saharper
I've had the same problem. Coincidentally, I have an 02 Z28 M6 that I bought last April with just under 20K miles on it. The guy I bought it from averaged about 2K miles/year on it. He sent me a list of mods that he could remember, and aftermarket clutch wasn't one of them, so I'm guessing it's stock. But yeah, every time I get behind the wheel, it feels like I have to re-learn how to drive a stick. People behind me literally honk their horns sometimes. So let me know what you find out; I'd love to know what's causing it.
UPDATE: Had the clutch fluid flushed/refilled yesterday with Valvoline Synthetic - improved the situation about 70%. It's still not perfect, but it's much better. I'm planning to replace the slave with a new stock unit and the master with a tick adjustable master cylinder soon.

Saharper, have you tried replacing the fluid? From searching the forums, it seems like a lot of the stupid issues I'm having with this car are also had by people that have 20-30k miles on these cars. I imagine because these low mileage cars sit for so long, we are likely going to have to replace a number of parts that were intended to have fresh fluid running through them on a regular basis. I'll update again when I replace the slave/master.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the update. Yeah, just had the fluid replaced this weekend. Didn't switch to synthetic, but the flush seems to have helped a bit. Feels like there's air in the line, so won't be able to tell for sure until I get that straightened out.
I agree. This unfortunately probably won't be the last issue we deal with, but hopefully they'll require mostly minor fixes. Let's hope, at least.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:00 AM
On The Tree

Updating old threads: Tick Master cylinder just completely fixed this problem - and improves the way the car shifts by 10 fold. Literally. It feels more like shifting a newer G37 now as opposed to a 10 year old clunker! If you are wondering if it's worth the $325, the answer is YES.

Quick Reply: Just bought an 02 Z28 M6 - Questions about the clutch