Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Lt1 Clutch wont disengage

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lt1 Clutch wont disengage

I changed the clutch on my trans am about 3 month ago and everything was working fine on it until last week, at first I could drive it then at a light i woould have to pump the clutch to put it into gear. It wouldnt go into gear sometimes but i could still drive it, so i assumed there was air in the system. I bleed it and it did nothing, I was told it was the slave cylinder from someone who had the same problem. I replaced it and now its worse. I can only go in gear with the car off because the clutch isnt pullin all the way off. Ive hand pumped it for about 3 days and nothing. Help please!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
FormerVendor

So after install everything worked for 3 months. Then, it stopped. You replaced the slave and it got worse. Have you replaced the master? Have you bled the system with a mighty-vac? Though it may be hydraulic it may also be relative to the bearing which clips into the diaphragm fingers. If the bearing is broken or damaged in any way then this could easily affect clutch release. Try bleeding with a vacuum assist and then you may need to pull the trans for further assessment.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Ok if you have to pump the pedel then you have air in the system..And when you replaced the slave you let more air in the system..You need to look under the dash and see if your loosing fluid from the master..If not then remove the slave and depress it by hand with the cap off the resivior...Have someone watching the resivior to see if there is any bubbles...Keep doing this until you see no bubbles..Up to 50 times slow...If you still have the same problem the seals are bad in the master...Replace it and bench bleed it prior to installing it on the car
Old 02-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
So after install everything worked for 3 months. Then, it stopped. You replaced the slave and it got worse. Have you replaced the master? Have you bled the system with a mighty-vac? Though it may be hydraulic it may also be relative to the bearing which clips into the diaphragm fingers. If the bearing is broken or damaged in any way then this could easily affect clutch release. Try bleeding with a vacuum assist and then you may need to pull the trans for further assessment.
o i havent replaced the master yet, and i was gonna try the mighty vac today but its getting dark outside. And im hoping i dont have to pull everything because im selling it and the people are waiting on the clutch to be fixed lol

Originally Posted by lt-1guy96
Ok if you have to pump the pedel then you have air in the system..And when you replaced the slave you let more air in the system..You need to look under the dash and see if your loosing fluid from the master..If not then remove the slave and depress it by hand with the cap off the resivior...Have someone watching the resivior to see if there is any bubbles...Keep doing this until you see no bubbles..Up to 50 times slow...If you still have the same problem the seals are bad in the master...Replace it and bench bleed it prior to installing it on the car
Im not losing any fluid from the slave or the master, i checked both. I did the pump method with the old slave about 100 times and the pedal still felt soft. The thing is though on the old slave i could shift for about 5 min then it would stop working, I would turn the car off for 5 more min and the clutch will work for a few mins again. When i replaced the slave it didnt work at all anymore trying to change gears while on. Im going to pump it some more by hand since i been doing it alone today with nobody to watch bubbles.
Also when i was pumping the new slave it felt alot stiffer, idk if its because my shoulders were dead from pumping so much or its actually working haha but im getting a mity vac tonight and see if that changes things. God i dont wanna pull the trans again
Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pressure plate bolts backing out.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Teching In

If it was the pressure plate bolts it would do the opposite,it would slip and still shift i think the seals in the master are bad..if your sure it got worse when you did the slave...thats the big thing even if it was internal replacing the slave wouldnt make it worse unless its a air of master problem
Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lt-1guy96
If it was the pressure plate bolts it would do the opposite,it would slip and still shift i think the seals in the master are bad..if your sure it got worse when you did the slave...thats the big thing even if it was internal replacing the slave wouldnt make it worse unless its a air of master problem
Are you sure?
I had a Mustang GT with a brand new clutch and after a few days, the pedal got wierd and when it was fully pressed, I did not get full release. Dumbass who installed it did not torque the pressure plate bolts so they started to back out. They were back off enough where I never got slippage but there was not enough "release" to overcome the new distance created by the loose PP bolts. I could be wrong, that was a long time ago.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Are you sure?
I had a Mustang GT with a brand new clutch and after a few days, the pedal got wierd and when it was fully pressed, I did not get full release. Dumbass who installed it did not torque the pressure plate bolts so they started to back out. They were back off enough where I never got slippage but there was not enough "release" to overcome the new distance created by the loose PP bolts. I could be wrong, that was a long time ago.
put the clutch and everything in myself and i torqued it down to 22 lbs, if its not the hydrolic system then unfortunately im going to have to pull the trans again. Im going to mity vac first and if that doesnt work im replacing the mc. Does any know of a tutorial to replace that?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Also when I drained my clutch fluid it was dark brown with black pieces all in it, if that matters at all. Put new fluid in it and its dark again in the reservoir.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:13 PM
FormerVendor

The discoloration and material in the fluid evidences that the fluid has been hot and that the slave and or master are breaking down. You can start with a flush and re-fill and go from there. I recommend Motul RBF600 fluid.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
The discoloration and material in the fluid evidences that the fluid has been hot and that the slave and or master are breaking down. You can start with a flush and re-fill and go from there. I recommend Motul RBF600 fluid.
Thanks man, its the original fluid from 93 so i just went ahead and bought a new master cylinder also, hopefully this fixes the problem.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:16 PM
FormerVendor

Just keep me posted and I will be happy to assist you further if needed.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Ok so I undid everything and started trying to remove the master cylinder, it wouldn't move on one side of the ubolt so I went and looked and there's a locking washer behind the peddle attachment to the firewall. How do I remove it? I been tribg to cut it off but have no room, we been fighting for 3 hours now
Old 02-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Finally got it off like 10 min after i posted lol and it got dark so im picking up in the morning
Old 02-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Teching In

I would like to thank everyone that posted here for helping me out, much appreciated. The problem was a combo of the master and slave. After hours of fighting with the master, it works now. I just need to bleed it because i still have to occasionally pump the clutch. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Not trying to get off the subject but do you realize how rare a 93 T/A is with a 6-speed? If it has T-Tops like mine it's even that much rarer!!!! There was less than a 100 with T-Tops and a 6-speed!!!!!! I hope you get it going and keep that car, it's gonna be worth a small fortune pretty soon!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by icedragon642
Not trying to get off the subject but do you realize how rare a 93 T/A is with a 6-speed? If it has T-Tops like mine it's even that much rarer!!!! There was less than a 100 with T-Tops and a 6-speed!!!!!! I hope you get it going and keep that car, it's gonna be worth a small fortune pretty soon!!!!!!!!!!
It was a hard top, and i sold it yesterday and im regreting it already. Im trying to get a ls1 trans am though

Quick Reply: Lt1 Clutch wont disengage