Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Re-use Pressure Plate w. 5k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re-use Pressure Plate w. 5k miles?

I put in a new clutch and pressure plate a year ago, and the clutch is already starting to slip after just 5,000 miles. Going to replace the clutch soon, but do you guys think I'll be able to re-use the pressure plate?

With this few miles, I think so....

Also trying to decide between a Zoom clutch or the AutoZone replacment. I ran the AutoZone clutch before with the same set-up and it lasted several years and I only replaced it because I had to have the trans rebuilt so I figured I'd "upgrade" the clutch while I was in there.

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:16 AM
TECH Addict

the pressure plate should be fine as long as it hasn't been abused

I know mine was fine after 5k miles...luckily...which was when my Zoom/Perfection clutch failed:

I post this picture a lot. I have heard of 2 other members having the exact same failure so I know it wasn't an install error. I got my money back but that doesn't make up for having to swap it in my driveway in the middle of January on two inches of snow in 20 degree weather. This clutch is sold by Jegs as a Zoom clutch and by Advance Auto as a Perfection clutch. I would never buy anything from them again as my clutch and slave by them have both failed resulting in me having to drop the transmission twice. It could have easily taken out the flywheel also had the rest of the material ripped off.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wow! That's not good! Sorry to hear about that. I went through a similar set of issues with my Ram clutch. I ended up ordering the basic organic one from McLeod so hopefully that works out well.

Thanks for the response.