Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Possible to lighten clutch pedal pressure?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible to lighten clutch pedal pressure?

I am actually posting for a very close friend of mine. He has a '97 A4 C5, bone stock. We had planned on modding this car, but he is having regrets about buying an automatic.

Long story short - he has a nerve disease that causes extreme pain is his feet with a given amount of pressure. He desires a six speed car, but doesn't believe he can handle the pedal (he drove my '98 Z28, stock and with a Tick MS, and couldn't handle the pressure for long). However, he has driven my Cobalt, and the pressure was light enough that it didn't bother his foot.

So my question - is there any way, hydraulic or otherwise, to lighten the pressure felt while depressing the clutch? He has his heart set on a six speed z06, and I promised I would research the topic for him. Any input is appreciated. If a solution isn't discovered by May we will begin modding the A4 anyways.

Thanks!
Allen
Old 02-17-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

the tick cylinder is going to increase pedal effort because of the larger bore.

I would use the stock master cylinder (smaller bore increases hydraulic power) and a mcleod twin disk because the pressure plate is light(just as light as stock if not lighter..) and can hold the power if you modify the car. i know my pedal pressure is damn near 4 cylinder like... Also if you got creative you could slightly lengthen the clutch pedal to increase leverage if there is room for it. Could also increase the area of the clucth pedal itself to make it more comfortable on his foot. Other then that there isnt a ton you can do hydraulically because there needs to be enough fluid moved to push the slave out enough disengage the clutch.

I mean it could be done with a smaller bore and longer stroke however this would involve some custom master cylinder for a longer stroke and the smaller bore.

I also have a friend who had a boss hoss motorcycle that had a 350 v8 engine with a regular full size clutch.. well using just the hand lever for a full size clutch isnt really going to work so well so the boss had a small break booster on the clutch system to activate the clutch only using your hand.. Probably not enough room in a car setup though... haha

Last edited by got-a-ls1; 02-17-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Is your friend looking to add more power? If so, that will require a stronger clutch and compound the issue.

In addition to going to a stock MC, I'd suggest calling Tick and see if they can do custom one-off master cylinders. Maybe they can increase the bore and reduce the pressure required over stock? The pedal would have less travel and a catchier friction point, but there is a trade-off to be had.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

the tick uses a tilton master cylinder, you can use any bore 75 series with it

I swapped mine out for a 13/16 to make it less stiff, you lose some of the hydraulic advantage but my car was completely undriveable with 3 stock masters but shifts great with the 13/16, so if the increased pedal effort is a problem that'll cut the difference in half over stock and still be an improvement over the stock unit
Old 02-19-2012, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

stronger clutch wont compound the issue if he spends a little extra and gets a twin disk rst or rxt and the stock hydraulics are perfect for those. they have very light pedals. also a smaller bore would require more travel not less. hydraulics get their advantage from surface areas of the master cylinder and surface area of the slave cylinder. The smaller master cylinder (or larger slave)will give more force but need more travel just like a smaller pinion gear gives more mechanical advantage to a ring gear but you need to rev the motor higher to get the same speed as before. its all give and take.

The ticks work good on some clutch setups because they move more fluid then a stock master. That means it can push the slave a little more... which is why larger masters can also be adjusted to have a shorter pedal throw, but at the cost of pedal effort.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
stronger clutch wont compound the issue if he spends a little extra and gets a twin disk rst or rxt and the stock hydraulics are perfect for those. they have very light pedals.
Great suggestion.

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
also a smaller bore would require more travel not less

No more late nite posts for me! Maybe tick can get a reduced bore cylinder? There's not a lot of room for increased travel, but some.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible to lighten clutch pedal pressure?