Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Squeaky clutch when pressed

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squeaky clutch when pressed

I am completely new to how a clutch works and what's involved with it...mine is squeaky when I press the pedal- I hear a rubber squeak and springs compressing. I am thinking it's a stock clutch for my car as the car is all stock. It feels nice and firm when shifting.

Is there any tricks to quiet it down? It's not a big deal but I was just curious.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You probably have a broken clutch pedal return spring. Its a common issue for which GM released a TSB.

The spring has three attaching points. One in the middle and two on the side. Its common for one of the side arms to break off, which torques the pedal to one side, causing the squeak.

You can lube the spring contact points with grease and either replace or remove the spring. (Its a challenging project, but achievable.) You should be able to find several threads on this.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just read up on this, thank you.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

This is the issue I'm having. My srping broke 1 arm off but it's still mostly in position. But now its squeeking like crazy. I want it out of there but I'm not quite sure how to get it out, any help would be appreciated. PM please or respond here, thx or anyone near west burbs of chicgo come help and ill buy you a case of beer !

Quick Reply: Squeaky clutch when pressed